Need Help..... = (

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulasPumpkin

Hello everyone,

I am a vary worried grand parent, I was rasing my daughter's baby for 8 month's, and now her real daddy wanted her and did the test to make sure that he was the real daddy and now that we know he is, he came up to Alaska to get her and take her back to Idaho to his family and now will not return our phone calls and will not return our mesages, What can we do to make sure that our baby is fine and make sure that we can still be in her life ? we also looked up his mother's number online and tried to call but they are saying it's not the right number... we need help, we are going to look in to getting into a lawyer tomorrow.

But wanted to know if anyone else has ever read about this type of problem or had this type... if so please can you conntact us please... we are going crazy thinking about her....

Hello everyone,

I am a vary worried grand parent, I was rasing my daughter's baby for 8 month's, and now her real daddy wanted her and did the test to make sure that he was the real daddy and now that we know he is, he came up to Alaska to get her and take her back to Idaho to his family and now will not return our phone calls and will not return our mesages, What can we do to make sure that our baby is fine and make sure that we can still be in her life ? we also looked up his mother's number online and tried to call but they are saying it's not the right number... we need help, we are going to look in to getting into a lawyer tomorrow.

But wanted to know if anyone else has ever read about this type of problem or had this type... if so please can you conntact us please... we are going crazy thinking about her....

Where is the childs mother?

I doubt very much that she could terminate her rights without a step parent adoption. She MIGHT have given Dad custody. IF she TPR'ed, that would make you legal strangers to this child because she would no longer be Mom.

I found this from the Indiana statutes:

32-719.Visitation rights of grandparents and great-grandparents. The district court may grant reasonable visitation rights to grandparents or great-grandparents upon a proper showing that the visitation would be in the best interests of the child.

Certainly talk to an attorney if you wish. Maybe (s)he can find out what, if anything, has been filed in this case and see what Mom's status is.

BTW: I understand you have bonded with this child, but you have no inherent rights to her, and she is NOT "our baby".

Dad has rights here and if you want visits you need to see an Attorney in AK. I doubt your daughter legally terminated her rights. She may not have any rights at the moment though. Without seeing an attorney for grandparents visitation (which is possible since the child lived with you at one point) you have no rights at all for now.

I have a lawyer here and no matter what I have legal rights as grandparents to my grandchild. I am going to be setting up visitations rights

Just because she did not give birth to the child doesnt mean that she is not her baby. How would you feel if there had been an accident at the hospital and your child and another were switched? I know it doesn't happen any more but just humor me. What if they came a year or 2 later and made you give that child up? Wouldn't you be hurt and upset as I am sure Paula is? Didn't you bond with your children the same way as Paula? Like I said just because the child didn't come from her body does not give you any right to judge her and what she calls her grandbaby. That is as much her baby as your kids are yours. Leave her alone.

Touchy feely postings aside, this is a forum where folks come to ask questions regarding legal issues and receive legal answers.

LEGALLY, at this point in time grandma has no rights to this child. None. Nada. Zippo. Until (and if) a court grants visitation rights to the grandmother, she has no more rights to this child than a stranger does.

It is to her benefit that she has kept this child; this will add credence to her claim for visitation rights. But she needs to understand that granting visitation does not, in any way, make this child "our" (i.e., her") baby.

Gail

Jenn your post is legally totally incorrect. This child is not grandma's and grandparents have VERY few rights in most states. Dad has more rights than her. Grandma can file for visitation rights but she has to understand she may not even get those. She can also make friends with Dad and see if he will allow visits which may be her only option if the courts do not grant her visitation.

I am a grandmother of 4. My son and his boy (and for a short time boy's mom) lived with us. Mom and baby were in and out, but baby was mostly here with his dad and us. Mom later gave Dad custody. Later Dad moved out for about 18 months, leaving boy with us. I had power of attorney for school and doctor, but it didn't remove the parents' rights.

That boy is LIKE a second son to me. BUT HE IS NOT. I never had any real rights to him, except to take him to appointments and sign school papers. Even when he lived here without Dad, I involved Dad in decisions. He did go back with him and I missed having him here every day. But he is thriving with Dad and stepmom. I treasure our times together and I think we have a special bond. BUT HE IS NOT MY SON.

I know my place in his world and I love being in it. I stay on good terms with my son, because as his parent, he sees that bond and he allows me to be in it.

ok sorry if I offended anyone but I was just saying don't be critical of her words. She doesnt have to have legal right to call her "our baby".

ok sorry if I offended anyone but I was just saying don't be critical of her words. She doesnt have to have legal right to call her "our baby".

sigh...Yes, LEGALLY she does. If she were to present herself in court as she has done here, most JUDGES would consider her over-involved and interfering with the parental role. Better that the members here are critical than OP take her cloying attitude to court and get "smacked" by the judge.

If you can't limit your responses to a LEGALLY valid point of view, you should not advise other members. You are not helping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back