NC Speeding Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyngo

Hello,

I commute from Davidson, NC to High Point NC (~88 miles one way) and back again for my job. On May, 10th 2006 I received a speeding ticket for 84 MPH in a 70 MPH, right around Mocksville NC. This is my first speeding tickets in NC (My last ticket was 9/11/91, in NY). I would prefer not to use PFJ, since this is my first offense and I hope I can get it reduced to 9 by the DA. However, I need some help with the logistic of how to go about this.

1. Do I contact the DA or the ADA? I would prefer not to piss off the person that I am trying to get to reduce my violation with.

2. I was told my presence (or lawyer) is mandatory, since it was over 80 MPH. If I get it reduced down, do I still have to go to court or do I pay the fine and court costs?

If anyone could be of help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dyngo

Dyngo

I have a similar situation and what I have learned is that you (and I) would like to have this reduced to an "improper equipment" violation which is considered non-moving thus no points on the record and no increase in the insurance premiums. In fact I believe it doesn't even go in your driving record but I'm not positive of that. You or an atty you hire will have to show in court to make this plea. The tricky part is finding out how easy it is for you to make this plea vs an attorney you hire. An attorney will run you approx $200 plus court costs. Seems high but this still beats the insurance premium increase by a lot. I am now trying to figure out how successful an individual would be representing themself to make my decision. If I come across good info I'll post another reply.

Mike O.

From my understanding that since this is my first speeding that if I get it reduced to 9, I plead guilty to that, pay the fine/court costs and I do not get insurance points. Am I wrong about this?

Dyngo

Dyngo

I heard you won't get points against your insurance (thus no premimum increase) but they will be assigned to your driving record. Probably not many but they are there none the less. If you get the "improper equipment" plea bargain once you pay the fine (and atty fee if you hire one) it all disappears, like it never happened.

Mike O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back