My Mom Talks too Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

sttacya

I'm going to try to keep this brief but at the same time give you as much info. as possibly needed. My mother is a widow, mid 70's and has been recently diagnosed with cancer. She has previously filed bankruptcy (not sure the status on that) but has one credit card debt collector that has learned how to push her buttons. In a panic, she mentioned to the collector one day that she had an insurance claim outstanding and was awaiting a payment and that she would consider paying the debt when the claim was completed. Well after realizing the size of the debt compared to the size of the insurance payment she would not have much left to take care of health expenses. We are trying to convince her to just make small, consistent payments to pay off the debt but the credit card company is threatening to sue her. Can they do that if she is making some efforts to pay the debt? She is still waiting for the insurance payment and we are not even sure the claim will be approved. What are her rights? Thanks for any guidance/advice you have to offer.

Gee, sue your ill, 70 year old mother? :mad:

I don't think so but I'm no lawyer. As I remember it, the credit card company can't really do much *if* your mother makes regular payments.

I think first, she needs to cancel the card, then she can make a pay back agreement with the card company.

Whatever you do do not let the credit card company push you around. at the end of the day what they really want is there money. Make tem a threat...You won't get anything if you don't agree to this.

Good luck!

Actually, their not being able to do much if you make small, regular, consistent payments is a myth! They have a right to want their money, if the debt is in default, because of late or non-payments, then they have the right to want the full amount due. They do not have to accept a payment arrangement, any payments lower than the minimum amount they demand or what have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back