My child is now homeless

J

jaimeceleste

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My ex wife was evicted last night in Pa for the fifth time in the last three years. We have no custody agreement and we have been divorced now for over 6 years, She has had my Daughter who just turned 14 yesterday living with her. I moved to Florida with my wife and she has hated me ever since. I now found out last night my wife is homeless with no job, no car and no were to go. So my daughter went to stay at a friends last night. I want to come get my Daughter until my wife gets on her feet again but she is saying she is going to sign over temp custody to someone else I have no idea who and I want my daughter in a safe place. Me and my wife both work full time we have a house and vehicles and we can provide for my Daughter. I need to know if I can just go get her or is there something else I need to do to assure she doesn't just give my daughter to someone. I don't have any money for a lawyer at this time but I can and will go get my daughter is I am allowed to legally. Please help me I can not believe my wife has let this happen.

I can't guarantee this but, in the absence of court ordered custody, you and your ex have equal right to custody of your daughter.

Were I in your position I would just go and get her and handle the fallout later.

But, please, don't telegraph your intentions. Just quietly go rescue her and tell your ex about it later.

If there is no custody agreement preventing your daughter from residing with you then you should go get her. Your wife doesn't have the right to sign her over to someone else without your permission. Then you need to get a lawyer and get custody arrangements made, because absent that at any time your ex can come take her back.

Back