Motion and chancery court questions

Carguy392

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I had someone take money from me, I got a judgment but instead of paying they ran.
It took a while but I found the property they owned and placed a lien on it. Tried to foreclose but they filed bankruptcy but it was dismissed by the court because they didn't pick a plan.
I lost my lawyer who was helping on contingency.

I finally created a new motion to foreclose based off the previous one. It's for chancery court apparently. I still need to create new summons first and the Debtor is very difficult to serve.
My former lawyer also asked a judge separately to use publication in the newspaper to serve notice, would that still be usable ? Or would I have to ask again if the sheriff is unsuccessful ?

In the prayer for relief section, I didn't know what I could actually ask for. I asked for
an additional $200 a month from the time of my judgment until I am paid. Is that something that chancery court could grant or is that an unrealistic request ?

My former lawyer also asked a judge separately to use publication in the newspaper to serve notice, would that still be usable ? Or would I have to ask again if the sheriff is unsuccessful ?

My guess is that you would have to ask again.

Keep in mind, however, that chasing a deadbeat for money is likely to cost you money, not get you money.

In the prayer for relief section, I didn't know what I could actually ask for. I asked for
an additional $200 a month from the time of my judgment until I am paid. Is that something that chancery court could grant or is that an unrealistic request ?

You won't get it. You're entitled to post-judgment interest on the amount at whatever the prevailing rate is. Currently an annual rate of 10.25% as of 7/1/2023.

Tennessee Judgment Interest Rates | Tennessee Administrative Office of the Courts (tncourts.gov)

How much is your judgment amount?

Keep in mind, however, that chasing a deadbeat for money is likely to cost you money, not get you money.

Amen, amen, amen, hallelujah!!!

Protect your assets, watch your assets, trust no one but yourself when it comes to protecting your moolah.

Deadbeats, weasels, bums, scammers, and thieves are everywhere.

Stay alert, never lend anyone money, unless you can live with never being repaid.

It's 20k without including the interest since last year.

The guys property valued by bankruptcy court was for $171,000 no mortgage, 2 story house on 5 acres.
Exemption $25k
He has family with a warranty deed $12k
Then my judgment lien with 5.5% interest.
So I could get the difference of the 10.25% rate since judgment was given ?

Back