Arkansas Medicaid Income And Qualifying

Groover

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
A person applies for Medicaid on October 15th based on their income at that time and is approved within a few days. On November 1st they get an expected check for $35,000 from a trust but they don't tell Medicaid "we have a bank account Medicaid doesn't know about". On December 1st they pass away.

Does Medicaid care about the received check considering the person has passed away one month later?

If their financial POA knew the check would arrive when they filled out the Medicaid paperwork in October what are the consequences of that?

Thanks.

Does Medicaid care about the received check considering the person has passed away one month later?

I suggest you, or your attorney (assuming you've retained one) contact the Medicaid source directly.

Governmental agencies frown on the behavior you describe.

Don't be surprised if someone is charged criminally for your intentional deceitful behavior, and attempts are initiated to "claw back" the funds expended by the agency because of your dishonesty.

Double doubtful that there will be criminal charges in this. The facts in October were true, they just changed in November. If there were expenses incurred by the Medicaid system, those will be back charged.

Don't go shopping for prison duds quite yet

Double doubtful that there will be criminal charges in this. The facts in October were true, they just changed in November.

The check that was received in November was guaranteed to arrive because it is an annual trust payout, like clockwork, since 2009.

The recipient has until the tenth day of the month after receiving the money to report the income. At that point the SSA will determine if future SSI payments need to be adjusted or ended. In this case the decision is moot because the recipient is dead.

"Since these countable resource limits are so low, even a modest inheritance could put an SSI recipient over the threshold and cause benefits to be reduced or ended. No matter how small the inheritance is, SSI recipientsare required to report it to Social Security within 10 days after the end of the month in which it was received"

Will My Inheritance Affect My SSI Benefits? - SmartAsset | SmartAsset

Back