Limited Power of Attorney for Eligible Motor Vehicle Transactions

Joe H

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi,

Can someone help me understand what kind of power I'm giving to someone if I provide them with Limited Power of Attorney for Eligible Motor Vehicle Transactions? I recently sold a car and incorrectly signed the Title when transferring the vehicle. So the new owner was not able to register the vehicle. I'm in a different city several hours away, so meeting them isn't preferable. The DMV recommended to them that I sign this Limited Power of Attorney to allow them to sign on my behalf in regards to transferring the title. I'm just wary of giving anyone Power of Attorney, even if it is limited. Are they truly limited to only transactions related to obtaining a title and registration? Or could they hypothetically create a document that says they have a certain time frame to return the vehicle for a full refund? Just trying to think through all scenarios.

Here's a link to the form: https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/form_files/VTR-271.pdf

Thanks

TxDMV VTR-271 - Limited Power of Attorney for Eligible Motor Vehicle Transactions

Form VTR-271 is a Limited Power of Attorney for Eligible Motor Vehicle Transactions issued by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV).

This form is used by vehicle owners to grant limited power of attorney to an authorized agent or representative to perform specific motor vehicle transactions on their behalf. The purpose of this form is to enable the authorized agent to act on behalf of the vehicle owner in specific transactions without the owner's physical presence. The parties involved in this form are the vehicle owner, who grants the limited power of attorney, and the authorized agent, who is authorized to act on behalf of the owner in the specified transactions.

The form consists of sections where the vehicle owner provides essential information about themselves and the authorized agent, as well as details about the specific transactions the agent is authorized to perform. The form also includes a notary section for the owner's signature to be notarized, certifying the authenticity of the limited power of attorney. Once the form is completed and notarized, the authorized agent can use it to perform the specified transactions on behalf of the vehicle owner. This form is useful when the owner is unable to personally appear for specific transactions and needs to delegate authority to a TRUSTED agent HE/SHE trusts.

If you don't COMPLETELY trust your intended designee, then be smarter than the average bear, don't execute the form, DO IT YOURSELF, because YOU DO TRUST YOU!!!

tenor-6.gif tenor-5.gif 299126258-7861-trust-me-i-dont-trust-you.png 0b7ed2ab4972d894fbd1fe18c962998e.jpg

It's a routine form that every state has, when there is a glitch in a title transfer.

Complete it, send it, and don't lose any sleep over it.

If you don't, you may end up having to take the car back and refunding the money.

Back