License Suspension

Jurisdiction
Florida
I borrowed a vehicle from a friend and got into an accident. I received a citation for failure to yield to traffic and paid it. I later found out this vehicle didn't have insurance and my friend was borrowing the vehicle from one of his bosses. The tag was expired, not registered to the vehicle and belonged to another person who reported it stolen after learning about accident to avoid any responsibilityin the matter. I wouldn't have even borrowed the vehicle if I knew any of this. I didn't receive any forms/requests/info regarding request to resolve claim until after my license had been suspended. Now I'm told I need to get a SR-22 & HSMV 74014 or HSMV 74036 to reinstate my license. I only make a $100/week. If I can't drive, I can't even make that. Vehicle damages amount to $4000 and the tort claim is $14000+. What are my options? If I'm stuck covering the cost of damage do I pay the $4000 or $14000+? Could I reach out to other driver to request signature for release of financial responsibility or would this be useless considering the tort claim?

Could I reach out to other driver to request signature for release of financial responsibility or would this be useless considering the tort claim?

You would have to pay him for his vehicle damage and his injury before you could get him to sign a release of all claims (samples of which you can find on the internet).

You would also have to pay the actual owner of the car you were driving for the damage you caused.

At $100 per week I don't see you ever paying that off which means your license is suspended forever.

If you want to get out from under the debt, you can file bankruptcy. But I don't see you getting your license back through bankruptcy.

The hard life lesson here is that, when you drive somebody else's vehicle, you make damned sure you have the insurance card and current registration.

If you want to get out from under the debt, you can file bankruptcy. But I don't see you getting your license back through bankruptcy.

In general the state may not demand that the OP pay off a discharged debt in order to get a benefit the OP otherwise is entitled to receive from the state. So that is one problem that bankruptcy might solve in addition to discharging debt that he/she will otherwise never be able to pay. The details of the debt will matter. The OP ought to discuss that with a bankruptcy attorney or an attorney whose practice is based on helping people get their driver's license back before making a decision on what course of action to take. If bankruptcy is a good option, then the OP will not want to pay towards any dischargeable before filing because it won't help in the bankruptcy and probably could be better used by the OP for something else.

I wouldn't have even borrowed the vehicle if I knew any of this.

Neither a borrower nor lender be.

WS-13-891974801.png

I suppose you now know why borrowing, rather than buying or renting a thing isn't wise.

Back