Is this wrongful termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itspink

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I was fired from my job (IN A TEXT). No reason was stated. I had asked for a reason, none was given. I asked both my supervisor and a higher up for a number to contact the highest superior and nobody let me contact him. I work In sales and have been at this company for consecutive years meeting all of my performance standards with an above average rate. I was in the process of moving and had to take off Monday (which I gave prior notice, my boss was okay with it.) On Friday(today), which is not a mandatory work day,I decided to go in with a few other coworkers. I do not have my license and they have been picking me up and taking me home for months with no issues. The driver and other coworker decided not to work. I let my boss know we decided not to work after all. My initial boss was okay with it and did not cause a fuss considering it wasn't mandatory. However, the higher up boss decided to fire me(just me) and said because I did not show up on Monday (which I have stated before was known and understood I had an important housing situation to be at). Iam the only female at this place of employment and out of everyone that decided not to work, I was singled out and fired? Now he is saying that if I have any complaints to come speak with him Monday morning. I was fired in a text message with no prior warnings or write ups. I'm assuming this is illegal?

Based just on what you posted, I don't see anything illegal unless you can prove you were terminated just because you are a female.

The other employees have used the company vehicle to do "drug runs", They have been sent home due to drug use, they take off work all the time, make up excuses. I show up, do my job, never call off, do my required job and I get fired. All other employees are male. How is there anyway I could prove that besides my opinion and my higher boss is now making up lies about me disrupting the work environment all of a sudden after I've been there for years +. I have witnesses that know I've been doing my job and people that would stand up for me if need be. They have no reason for firing me whatsoever and it's my word against his. What can I do?

No state has any laws that require an employer to NOT terminate the best employees.
In fact, an employer can terminate someone just because its Friday, or because the employer just feels like flexing her muscles.

Absent a written employment contract, or a CBA, your only option is file for unemployment insurance and discuss your issues with local labor or employment law attorneys.

As far as being fired for no just reason, I was also coming up on a bonus and was currently in a sales contest I was progressing in earning more money. Do I lose out on all of my commission and extra earnings as well? I have text messages from my boss telling me that the higher boss was out of hand on this and to relax. He fired me in a group text connected with other employees as well that did the same thing. There has to be some sort of privacy laws about that or something. This isn't right at all and there has to be something I can do.

As far as being fired for no just reason, I was also coming up on a bonus and was currently in a sales contest I was progressing in earning more money. Do I lose out on all of my commission and extra earnings as well? I have text messages from my boss telling me that the higher boss was out of hand on this and to relax. He fired me in a group text connected with other employees as well that did the same thing. There has to be some sort of privacy laws about that or something. This isn't right at all and there has to be something I can do.
There is something you can do.
Talk to a lawyer.
Good luck.

I was fired from my job (IN A TEXT). Not illegal.

No reason was stated. I had asked for a reason, none was given. There is no requirement that you be given a reason, even if you ask.

I asked both my supervisor and a higher up for a number to contact the highest superior and nobody let me contact him. You do not have a guaranteed right under the law to contact anyone.

I work In sales and have been at this company for consecutive years meeting all of my performance standards with an above average rate. Okay.

I was in the process of moving and had to take off Monday (which I gave prior notice, my boss was okay with it.) On Friday(today), which is not a mandatory work day,I decided to go in with a few other coworkers. I do not have my license and they have been picking me up and taking me home for months with no issues. That's nice of them but it's legally irrelevant.

The driver and other coworker decided not to work. I let my boss know we decided not to work after all. My initial boss was okay with it and did not cause a fuss considering it wasn't mandatory. However, the higher up boss decided to fire me(just me) and said because I did not show up on Monday (which I have stated before was known and understood I had an important housing situation to be at). Friday was not a mandatory work day. Monday was. The fact that your immediate supervisor was okay with your not working it does not mean his high-ups cannot countermand it.

I am the only female at this place of employment and out of everyone that decided not to work, I was singled out and fired? It doesn't sound to me as if you were fired for not working Friday. It sounds to me as if you were fired for not working Monday.

Now he is saying that if I have any complaints to come speak with him Monday morning. Then I suggest you do so.

I was fired in a text message with no prior warnings or write ups. I'm assuming this is illegal? You assume incorrectly. There is nothing illegal about either firing you by text or by firing you without any prior warnings or write ups.

Bottom line; unless you can provide some EVIDENCE that, given identical circumstances, a male employee would not have been fired, you are SOL. File for unemployment and look for another job.

Well obviously there was some sort of wrongdoing because after speaking to my primary manager, he called corporate and got me my job back. There has to be laws against defamation of character and discrimination against being the only female that had reprecussioms from an occurrence all employees also took part in. Thank you for your opinion I however choose to disagree that nothing could've been done.

Good for you everything is hunky dory.
I'll close this thread, because you've solved your issues.

You go right ahead and think whatever you want to think; however, the district manager overriding whoever fired you is not in any way evidence of illegality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back