is this grounds for breaking lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKinCA

We have recently moved to a home (moved Oct 08) that we now find out has elevated levels of mold (specifically aspergillus & pennicilium). We paid $475 for professional testing with results from a certified lab. The results stated elevated levels in 2 out of 4 samples. these specific molds could pose health issues.

We asked our landlord several times regarding the musty odor and he stated he never had a mold problem. He is going to be out of the country for several more weeks and I received the results after he left.

Is an home environment that is not healthy grounds for breaking the lease? what options do I have?

Last edited:
If your landlord was present, you could discuss this issue with them. While these findings MIGHT imply potential health issues, your posting does not indicate that these have developed. However, the fear of a lawsuit by tenants will sometimes be an impetus to allow the landlord to agree to breaking the lease on the mold issue.

If you break your lease without discussing the reason for this with the landlord, you face the risk of a lawsuit for doing so. If your landlord chooses to go this route, make sure you respond to the court when you are served and bring your mold test results at the hearing that will be scheduled.

Gail

A couple weeks after move in my wife started to develope "symptoms" (chronic cough, sinus pain, stuffiness). She had a Dr's appt about 4 weeks ago, my wife did ask if mold could be a culprit and the Dr. agreed but for a definitive answer other lab/health tests for types of mold would have needed to be done (which were not).

My spouse still has the symptoms.

You may contact the Health Department and ask them to inspect. Once you have theri findings you can then approach Landlord. By appraoch I mean give him a chance to resolve problem. If you wish you can ask him to release you from terms of lease. If he agrees get it in writing. Its not a breach unless Landlord is given a chance to fix problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back