IRS Requires Thieves to Report Income from Stolen Property & Other Illegal Activities

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
If a person steals property or makes money from illegal activities, the IRS requires them to report that on their income tax return.

Many Americans will soon get their W-2 forms to report legitimate income on their 2023 tax returns. But what about ill-gotten gains?

Viral social media posts remind people to report their "income from illegal activities and stolen property to the IRS."

VERIFY reader James also asked, "Can you VERIFY if the IRS website really states if you have stolen property you must report stolen property?"

THE QUESTION
Does the IRS require people to report income from stolen property and illegal activities?

THE SOURCES

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

United States v. Sullivan, 274 U.S. 259 (1927)

THE ANSWER

This is true.
pngtree-true-false-button-with-green-and-red-color-gradation-png-image_9149022-4077407384.png
Yes, the IRS does require people to report income from stolen property and illegal activities.

WHAT WE FOUND
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) writes in Publication 17, which covers general rules for filing tax returns, that if a person steals property, they must "report its fair market value" as income – unless they return it to its rightful owner within the same year.

Taxpayers must also include any money made from illegal activities, such as selling drugs, in their income on Form 1040, the IRS says. That form is the same document used to record additional income like prize winnings and unemployment payments.

But stealing isn't the only thing that should be reported – bribes and kickbacks count as income too, the IRS says.

While tweets about reporting stolen property to the IRS have garnered a lot of attention recently, tax officials and the federal government have been cracking down on criminals for over 100 years. Congress enacted the Revenue Act of 1921, which requires people to pay taxes on all income regardless of how it was obtained.

United States v. Sullivan, a Prohibition-era Supreme Court case of a South Carolina bootlegger, brought the issue of reporting money from illegal activities to the federal government. According to the Mob Museum's website, defendant Manly "Manny" Sullivan appealed his 1922 conviction for evading federal taxes from running illegal whiskey. Sullivan claimed that filing a tax return on gains from criminal activity violated his right against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Supreme Court records show the federal government won that case in 1927, establishing the precedent that the Fifth Amendment does not protect the recipient of income made through illegal activities from prosecution for refusing to make returns under the income tax law.

The Supreme Court decision set the stage for the prosecution of mobster Al Capone in 1931, according to the Mob Museum. IRS officials estimated Capone's income at more than $1 million from 1924 to 1929, and claimed he evaded about $219,000 in federal taxes when he failed to file any tax returns.

Capone was convicted of tax evasion on Oct. 18, 1931 and later sentenced to 11 years in federal prison, fined $50,000 and charged $7,692 for court costs, along with $215,000 plus interest due on back taxes, according to the FBI.

In 1994, the government also prosecuted Aldrich Ames, a 31-year veteran of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) who had been spying for the Russians for nearly a decade, and his wife for tax evasion after they failed to declare nearly $2 million in payments from the Soviet Union, according to the FBI.

I expect that criminals will obey the income tax law as just as much as they obey gun control laws.

The smart ones do obey the tax law. Sure, it means they give a slice of their ill gotten gains to the IRS, but it also eliminates the prospect of prison for evading tax. As Al Capone famously found out, he was able to keep the FBI from getting enough evidence to charge him with a crime, but the IRS was able to prove the tax evasion, an easier task in his case. Most criminals do not know that (1) if they see a tax attorney (and it must be a tax attorney and not another tax professional because the criminal needs the protection of the attorney-client privilege) they can file their returns and pay their tax in a way that doesn't serve as an admission to a crime and (2) the IRS is prohibited from providing to other law enforcement agencies copies of tax returns where suspected criminal income is reported as a matter of practice.

The FBI or whatever other federal law enforcement agency must already suspect the criminal activity and make a specific request of the Commissioner of IRS to get the returns to see if there is anything useful on it. The IRS will not volunteer the information to an agency that has not specifically asked for it. These are among the disclosure restrictions in IRC § 6103 to protect private taxpayer information.

When I collected tax for the IRS I had two occasions to collect tax owed by suspected mafia figures. When I showed up at their places of business unannounced (which as of last year the IRS no longer has revenue officers do except in rare instances) I'd identify myself, tell them I'm here to collect $X in taxes owed, and if they paid it now I'd ask no questions, but if they didn't pay, I'd be obligated to start investigating the extent and location of their assets, where they came from, etc to collect what was owed. In both cases the figures involved were very polite, even friendly, went into some back room and about 15 minutes later came out and paid what was owed to the penny IN CASH. It always made me nervous carrying around tens of thousands of dollars or more until I could get to a bank and go through the rather tedious bureaucratic process the Treasury set up for banks to take the cash, give me a certified or cashiers check (without charging the government a fee), and not issue me a Form 1099 for it. It was very easy and pleasant collecting from those folks. The whole transaction was very businesslike. They knew that they were just better off not having the IRS nosing around in their business. It was actually harder dealing with the banks afterwards.

I expect that criminals will obey the income tax law as just as much as they obey gun control laws.

The odd thing is that crimes committed with guns often don't get a huge payoff, certainly not enough to be worth the kind of prison sentence armed robbery or murder will get them. The smart crooks today use e-mail, text messages, phones, and snail mail to pull off scams to the unwary. They make a whole more money, never have to see their victim, and don't even need to be in the same country, which reduces prosecution risk. And if they do get caught, they end up serving a whole lot less than the guys who go around sticking guns in people's faces. You'd think the street thugs would catch on to where the real money is, but I guess there will always be the clueless sorts among the criminally minded.

Back