Imminent Danger To The Public, Retaliation, Abuse Of Power Breach Of Contract, Etc.

Seeking justice

Jurisdiction
Florida
I'm formerly district supervisor of drawbridge operations in Florida. Under the state contract my position was strictly prohibited in operating a drawbridge except under emergency circumstances. Bridge operators are restricted to 10 hour shifts. I was being forced at threat of imprisonment, civil penalty, and termination, into operating drawbridges in excess of 80 hours weekly and up to 72 hours consecutively without sleep or rest. After challenging the legality, ethics, and safety of this, as well as refusing to operate a bridge for public and personal safety, after doing so 48 consecutive hours, I was terminated for "job abandonment". The motivation behind the company's actions is a $1000 per hour for not having an operator on duty. This has gone on for years and several of my predecessors to the position and employees were forced to resign or terminated for the same reasons. FDOT was the contractor and oversaw the companies operations, signing off on all of these practices.

I've had several free consultations but no one seems to care or be willing to help. I have several health conditions compounded by these events. Two of my employees had strokes on duty while having to work extreme hours. We were literally tortured being made to stay awake for days at a time at threat of imprisonment. The news here in Jacksonville, FL is running our story next month; more important than our compensation, I'm afraid if legal action is not taken these practices will continue until someone is seriously hurt or killed.

As the prior response noted, you didn't ask a question, so the purpose of your post is unclear.

I'm formerly district supervisor of drawbridge operations in Florida. Under the state contract my position was strictly prohibited. . . .

Were you a state employee? Or did you work for a private company that had a contract with the state?

I've had several free consultations but no one seems to care or be willing to help.

I'm confident that none of the several attorneys with whom you consulted simply told you, "I don't care. Go away." What reasons did they give you for not wanting to help?

The news here in Jacksonville, FL is running our story next month

"The news"? Who exactly is "the news"? Note that I'm not looking for you to identify a particular TV station, etc. And why is "the news" waiting so long to run the story? I've never heard of a new outlet committing to run a story that far in advance.

And why is "the news" waiting so long to run the story? I've never heard of a new outlet committing to run a story that far in advance.

This is not breaking news. It most likely is a news Exposé which takes time to put together.

That would be my guess.

Back