if i skip can she create new charges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirod75

my landlord is taking me court for unpaid rent (court date 7.30.10). i have already left the premises and i do not deny the unpaid rent. i was not going to show up at court because i do intend on repaying the unpaid portion.

however, things are not going as smoothly as i thought it would. my lease expired back in june of 2009 and was never renewed. the original lease was for myself and my ex who is the cause of this unpaid rent (he moved out may '09). the landlord can't find him so they are pursing me only (he's name is not on the court papers). i still have not turned over the keys because i have a few possessions left on the premises but my landlord's daughters have removed the lock on one door and chained it shut which will prevent me from removing a couch that I was going to donate to goodwill (i still have access through a smaller side door) and she was trying to deny me access yesterday unless i gave her a phone number where i could be reached and my new address (i ended up giving her a work # and a dummy address just to avoid the unnecessary drama and so that I could retrieve the rest of my belongings).

at this point im worried that if i skip that she (the daughter) may try to add on to the judgement if she can even do that. does she even have any legal rights since she is not even the landlord? im pretty sure she will be the one at court as my landlord is an elderly woman who's health is currently not the best.

You are correct- if you do not show up then the landlord can ask for just about anything and will likely get a judgment in their favor since you aren't there to speak against it. You could end up owing a lot more than you think you do now.

From what you describe, it does not sound as if your landlord has done anything improper.

Your best bet might be to show up to court and do your best to minimize the amount that the court orders you to pay.

my landlord is taking me court for unpaid rent (court date 7.30.10). i have already left the premises and i do not deny the unpaid rent. i was not going to show up at court because i do intend on repaying the unpaid portion.

As long as you have belongings there and have not returned the keys you are still responsible for the rent, Instead of running and looking around corners why don't you "man up" and try to come to an agreement with your landlord like a payment plan. I would go as far as showing up in court and asking for a mediation which will obligate you to adhere to whatever agreement is made and your landlord can get on with his/her life.

Thanks for responding mightymoose. she hasn't done anything wrong other than starting the process of changing locks when I have yet to turn over possession and still have some items remaining there. I also don't feel she's entitled to my updated personal information. The date on the 30th is just to get a hearing date and I really can't afford to miss anymore time off work and I do intend on paying what is owed... Thanks for the info though!

As I read this, you have been out of the residence for over a year, since June 2009. If this is the case, there is nothing wrong with the landlord having changed the locks even though your property is still inside.
How much past due rent are they trying to collect?
If you do in fact owe money to the landlord then yes, you will be giving up your personal information. If you don't do so willingly, the court will order you to.

You don't want to miss ANY court dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back