How restrictive is this non-compete agreement?

fhnejjad

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello! I am an aspiring entrepreneur... I say aspiring because I am in pursuit of starting my own small business however there may be something holding me back, recently I departed from a company that in part of their independent contractor agreement, I also signed a non compete, now I am trying to start a company that conducts similar business, however, I believe that the non compete agreement is too far-reaching and I question its enforceability.

"In addition to any other limitation, for a period of 18 months after the termination of this agreement, unless otherwise specified in this agreement, the contractor will not directly or indirectly engage in, or in any matter be connected with, or employed by any person, firm, or corporation in competition with Company or engaged in providing Real Estate General Brokerage Services within a radius of 60 miles of any office of the employer, its affiliates, or its subsidiaries."

The employment was initiated in January and terminated in March. I could be wrong but I don't believe that it is enforceable. Would love to hear everybody's opinion though.

Hello! I am an aspiring entrepreneur... I say aspiring because I am in pursuit of starting my own small business however there may be something holding me back, recently I departed from a company that in part of their independent contractor agreement, I also signed a non compete, now I am trying to start a company that conducts similar business, however, I believe that the non compete agreement is too far-reaching and I question its enforceability.

"In addition to any other limitation, for a period of 18 months after the termination of this agreement, unless otherwise specified in this agreement, the contractor will not directly or indirectly engage in, or in any matter be connected with, or employed by any person, firm, or corporation in competition with Company or engaged in providing Real Estate General Brokerage Services within a radius of 60 miles of any office of the employer, its affiliates, or its subsidiaries."

The employment was initiated in January and terminated in March. I could be wrong but I don't believe that it is enforceable. Would love to hear everybody's opinion though.
Contract review is beyond the scope of this site. Please take the non-compete to an attorney for review.

Back