How one finds a good attorney?

sad056

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
Please forgive my wording errors, I am trying to find an Attorney that can sincerely help me understand my case, reasons social security used to deny case, so I can work with Attorney well enough for appeal. I have genuine case but I am scared of the companies that have case workers who interact with you and their Attorneys get hidden behind the system, so it becomes very difficult, and one never learns the details of their case and various questions they had, as so many layers get inserted between people. I have also seen individual lawyers (maybe cause they handle too broad law areas) that they do not know technicals and then they end up avoid answering technical questions, important aspects get buried and never addressed properly.

Maybe is there some rating system for Attorneys, which one can find from some website or some other place? Any help on this or names please much appreciated. One thing I like is some attorneys create web channels to interact and educate public, that to me is a likely sign that Attorney is passionate about their field. But I don't see one in my area, unless maybe you might know?

Last edited:
Please forgive my wording errors, I am trying to find an Attorney that can sincerely help me understand my case, reasons social security used to deny case, so I can work with Attorney well enough for appeal. I have genuine case but I am scared of the companies that have case workers who interact with you and their Attorneys get hidden behind the system, so it becomes very difficult, and one never learns the details of their case and various questions they had, as so many layers get inserted between people. I have also seen individual lawyers (maybe cause they handle too broad law areas) that they do not know technicals and then they end up avoid answering technical questions, important aspects get buried and never addressed properly.

Maybe is there some rating system for Attorneys, which one can find from some website or some other place? Any help on this or names please much appreciated. One thing I like is some attorneys create web channels to interact and educate public, that to me is a likely sign that Attorney is passionate about their field. But I don't see one in my area, unless maybe you might know?
Have you tried your local legal aid society. They handle a lot of social security cases and don't have the manpower issues you referred to. If you are not eligible for their services, they may be able to refer you to an attorney in your area that does handle them.
This is not a referral service.

SSDI attorneys also usually handle bankruptcies as well. Yellow pages usually aren't an option now, but there are large practice firms who focus only on Social Security Administration cases and Bankruptcy since they tend and do often times go hand in hand. Maybe find an old phone book (middle 2000s) or something and look for an attorney with full page ads or even double paged full color ads who focus specifically on those areas which you need help with.

You will find what you need.

Yellow pages usually aren't an option now,...

Show a yellow pages book to a milennial and see the confused look on their faces. :D

Maybe find an old phone book (middle 2000s) or something and look for an attorney with full page ads or even double paged full color ads who focus specifically on those areas which you need help with.

That would be filled with a lot of old information that's no longer good. Law firms come, go, and change all the time, and it's not uncommon for lawyers to change firms one or more times during a career. That search would also exclude newer law firms, and one of those might actually be the best choice.

Maybe is there some rating system for Attorneys, which one can find from some website or some other place? Any help on this or names please much appreciated.

A good place to start your search would be the attorney search feature of the Minnesota Bar Association. You can search by area of practice and get a list of the lawyers practicing in that area. The list won't rank the quality of the attorneys, but at least you'll get information on which attorneys do the kind of law you need, which will narrow your search down a bit.

Show a yellow pages book to a milennial and see the confused look on their faces. :D

That would be filled with a lot of old information that's no longer good. Law firms come, go, and change all the time, and it's not uncommon for lawyers to change firms one or more times during a career. That search would also exclude newer law firms, and one of those might actually be the best choice.

(Snide remark removed by moderator.) The SSDI attorney who I sold yellow pages to, and had a double page ad is still going strong. He had over $110k in advertising in a phone book. (this was in the mid 2000s) Most big attorneys who practice law in an area will still be doing it 10-20 years later.

Back