How can a a patient be repeatedly be denied help in an emergency psychiatric situation?

Daisy Wilson

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi my husband is a diagnosed BI Polar 1 patient, he suffers from severe manic psychotic episodes, recently his medication was recently decreased and a result he started having a manic episode in January. That weekend we called several times to request an emergency detention order (EDO), twice he was evaluated and released without transfer for intake to a mental health facility. Finally after the third day of full mania, he agreed to voluntarily check himself in. During the time he was being admitted he became more agitated and his delusions increased. While he was waiting for intake and changing into the scrubs he suddenly felt he needed to escape to avoid being euthanized and a assaulted 3 of the nurses at the facility. He was then restrained and the police was called, during he arrest he resisted( he was in full manic psychosis) and then transferred to jail. He then further assaulted a peace officer and the judge at some point probably when he was being charged.(still in full manic psychosis). On the second day after arrest upon realizing that he was never going to be rendered medical help and upon hearing that he had been beaten and injured. His family and I decided to bail him out. We then tried to convince him to check himself in again to a mental health facility but clearly after all the trauma combined with the mania he refused. It was after the second night after bailing him out that things began to get out of hand again. After much hesitation we decided to call for help once again and request an EDO, hoping this time he would actually be given the help he needed. Thankfully this time, he was detained by a police officer and taken to a hospital for evaluation, once evaluated he was transported to an inpatient psychiatric hospital, where he was stabilized and then released 5 days later. My question is, what can be done to ensure that this doesn't happen again, he could have been killed for resisting or injured someone in his manic psychotic state, yet the hospital failed to render aid at any point.

Hi my husband is a diagnosed BI Polar 1 patient, he suffers from severe manic psychotic episodes, recently his medication was recently decreased and a result he started having a manic episode in January. That weekend we called several times to request an emergency detention order (EDO), twice he was evaluated and released without transfer for intake to a mental health facility. Finally after the third day of full mania, he agreed to voluntarily check himself in. During the time he was being admitted he became more agitated and his delusions increased. While he was waiting for intake and changing into the scrubs he suddenly felt he needed to escape to avoid being euthanized and a assaulted 3 of the nurses at the facility. He was then restrained and the police was called, during he arrest he resisted( he was in full manic psychosis) and then transferred to jail. He then further assaulted a peace officer and the judge at some point probably when he was being charged.(still in full manic psychosis). On the second day after arrest upon realizing that he was never going to be rendered medical help and upon hearing that he had been beaten and injured. His family and I decided to bail him out. We then tried to convince him to check himself in again to a mental health facility but clearly after all the trauma combined with the mania he refused. It was after the second night after bailing him out that things began to get out of hand again. After much hesitation we decided to call for help once again and request an EDO, hoping this time he would actually be given the help he needed. Thankfully this time, he was detained by a police officer and taken to a hospital for evaluation, once evaluated he was transported to an inpatient psychiatric hospital, where he was stabilized and then released 5 days later. My question is, what can be done to ensure that this doesn't happen again, he could have been killed for resisting or injured someone in his manic psychotic state, yet the hospital failed to render aid at any point.
You said that the medication was recently decreased. Who decreased it and why was it decreased?

My question is, what can be done to ensure that this doesn't happen again, he could have been killed for resisting or injured someone in his manic psychotic state, yet the hospital failed to render aid at any point.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The state's ability to force people into hospitals for mental issues was neutered many years ago.

You said that the medication was recently decreased. Who decreased it and why was it decreased?

Thanks for the reply, his psychiatrist, but we don't blame him as he did not intend for this to happen its part of the process of finding the correct dose and medication. I blame the hospital for failing to render aid, aren't they required to render aid in an emergency situation?
I just read about the Ivo Otienos Death, the EXACT same thing happened to my husband except thankfully he didn't die during the restraining process, but he was also being admitted and yet the hospital for whatever reason refused to render aid.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The state's ability to force people into hospitals for mental issues was neutered many years ago.

The problem is that he was already being admitted he had even changed into the hospital gown. He was supposed to be safe at that point at least that's what we thought, we never should have trusted the hospital, or the medical staff. They not only failed to stabilize him, but because he tried to get help he ended up with many physical injuries and criminal charges.

I would suggest you/your husband discuss a controlled environment (Mental Health Facility) while the Psychiatrist works with your husband to get the correct medication/dosage.

Thanks for the reply, his psychiatrist, but we don't blame him as he did not intend for this to happen its part of the process of finding the correct dose and medication. I blame the hospital for failing to render aid, aren't they required to render aid in an emergency situation?
I just read about the Ivo Otienos Death, the EXACT same thing happened to my husband except thankfully he didn't die during the restraining process, but he was also being admitted and yet the hospital for whatever reason refused to render aid.

Back