Homophobic Probation Officer

Robert Troutman

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I am in a relationship with someone who is on probation. As soon as my partner told him he was gay the officer began treating him unreasonably. An example is that after passing his drug screen the officer insisted on doing a strip search of him because he said he was acting funny.

I was waiting to pick him up today form probation and I know he is clean because i drug test him multiple times a week to ensure he is clean because he is living with me. He was put in jail for an unknown reason as I have yet to speak with him. After waiting in the car for over an hour I went to the probation office and was told he was sent to jail and that was over an hour ago. They had not decency to let me know anything they simply left me sitting there. They know I take him every week. He has had no issues until after declaring he was gay. Every since then they seem bent on harassing him every time to the point that he is visibly and physically upset after every visit.

This has to be illegal. What can be done to punish this person. I have not marched and rallied for the last 30 years of my life to help bring about the changes to our world and the rights that have slowly come to the LGBT community. I watched families torn apart during the HIV epidemic and I have been harassed in many ways throughout my life. This is reprehensible to do to a person who just came out for the first time. It makes me sick. I hope there is a path to justice here, but if there is not a clear path I will not be surprised only disappointed once again to injustice in our justice system.

To be clear, he got in trouble before we met. We have known one another for 2 years. I made the decision recently to help him get on his feet because the straight world he knew had abandoned him for his sexuality. It took him a few months to let me. I will not abandon him now and stand by as a hate crime of prejudice is committed against him or anyone else for that matter. God only knows how many others have suffered at this individuals prejudice. There is no place for prejudice in our justice system that is why she is blind. No government organization should be allowed to commit hate crimes especially a court official.

They had not decency to let me know anything they simply left me sitting there.

You and the other person aren't married, even if you were, the PO had no legal duty to tell you anything.

If you want to know why he was whisked off to the hoosegow, search the county jail inmate page.

The HCSO inmate search page:

Inmate Search - Hamilton County Sheriff's Office

This has to be illegal. What can be done to punish this person.

Marches, rallies, riots won't get any sheriff or law enforcement agency anywhere in the USA to release an inmate.

That battle can only be waged in a courtroom before a judge.

If you want to help your friend, hire a criminal defense attorney to protect his rights and litigate his issues.

A probationer is but one or two missteps away from becoming a resident of a county jail or state correctional facility.

Tread lightly, lest you create further complications for your pal.

I am in a relationship with someone who is on probation. As soon as my partner told him he was gay the officer began treating him unreasonably. An example is that after passing his drug screen the officer insisted on doing a strip search of him because he said he was acting funny.

I was waiting to pick him up today form probation and I know he is clean because i drug test him multiple times a week to ensure he is clean because he is living with me. He was put in jail for an unknown reason as I have yet to speak with him. After waiting in the car for over an hour I went to the probation office and was told he was sent to jail and that was over an hour ago. They had not decency to let me know anything they simply left me sitting there. They know I take him every week. He has had no issues until after declaring he was gay. Every since then they seem bent on harassing him every time to the point that he is visibly and physically upset after every visit.

This has to be illegal. What can be done to punish this person. I have not marched and rallied for the last 30 years of my life to help bring about the changes to our world and the rights that have slowly come to the LGBT community. I watched families torn apart during the HIV epidemic and I have been harassed in many ways throughout my life. This is reprehensible to do to a person who just came out for the first time. It makes me sick. I hope there is a path to justice here, but if there is not a clear path I will not be surprised only disappointed once again to injustice in our justice system.

To be clear, he got in trouble before we met. We have known one another for 2 years. I made the decision recently to help him get on his feet because the straight world he knew had abandoned him for his sexuality. It took him a few months to let me. I will not abandon him now and stand by as a hate crime of prejudice is committed against him or anyone else for that matter. God only knows how many others have suffered at this individuals prejudice. There is no place for prejudice in our justice system that is why she is blind. No government organization should be allowed to commit hate crimes especially a court official.

Did you have a legal question?

Do you really think it's a good idea to post/vent about your partners legal/criminal situation on the internet?

Ohio State Bar Association for Legal Professionals | OSBA (ohiobar.org)

You don't have to be informed of anything since you're not married. Also nothing you've described sounds like your partner is being targeted for being gay or any evidence of a hate crime. I think you don't know how probation works and how much leeway probation officers have. The PO could show up and do unannounced inspections where the probationer lives - which if he lives with you means your place, for example. It kind of feels like you're projecting things you went through onto this.

Everyone is prejudice by the way - we all pre-judge. There's a difference between prejudice and discrimination. Prejudice isn't a "crime" nor a "hate crime."

Back