Hiring question

Kelly007

I wanted to know if I had a case and if so what is it due to a hiring process.
Background:
I applied for a government job ( federal) and was extremely qualified. There were 3 people on the hiring board. I did not get the job ( it was out of another cadnidiate and myelf- she was way less qualified). I had been told on the down low that she was friends with the main person on the hiring board and the HR person.
I didnt get the job and moved on, it was about 2 months ago. I was informed yesterday that someone in the government department I applied launched an IG (inspector general complain) complaint about the situation and there has been an investigation into the hiring process for the job I applied for. I have been told I can request a copy of the report. I have also been told on the down low that I scored highly and my scores were changed by the HR person and submitted ( not what I scored by the people in the interview). Essentially, I was the chosen candidate- 2 of the 3 people on the board scored me highly (higher the tother candidate) and the 3rd person got with the HR person and changed the scores after and gave the positon to her friend. Once I have this inspector general report confirm this can I do anything about it?
Thanks,

I was informed yesterday that someone in the government department I applied launched an IG (inspector general complain) complaint about the situation and there has been an investigation into the hiring process for the job I applied for. I have been told I can request a copy of the report. I have also been told on the down low that I scored highly and my scores were changed by the HR person and submitted ( not what I scored by the people in the interview).

Apparently, no one told you that the passive voice is generally disfavored. Who informed/told you about these things?

Once I have this inspector general report confirm this can I do anything about it?

Probably, but I agree with "adjusterjack" that it's all academic until and unless you have evidence.

Also, you said this happened about 2 months ago. Were you unemployed at the time? If so, have you since obtained other employment? If you are presently employed, would it be your preference to leave your current job for this federal job?

Essentially, I was the chosen candidate- 2 of the 3 people on the board scored me highly (higher the tother candidate) and the 3rd person got with the HR person and changed the scores after and gave the positon to her friend. Once I have this inspector general report confirm this can I do anything about it?
Thanks,

That depends on what the job position is, what the IG report says, and how long it takes before the IG report is issued. The rules for federal government hiring differ depending on the level of the job. For example, candidates for a senior executive service (SES) position go through a different process than, say, a unionized postal clerk. If you want to challenge the decision, you have only a limited time to do it. Waiting for the IG report may be too late. My experience as a former federal government manager is that IG reports are typically not very fast to come out.

It may help to understand that for many positions in the federal government your test scores, performance appraisals, etc., are used to determine the top three candidates for the job, and that's done more or less strictly by the numbers. When you get to the final three and go to the interview process, all three people start fresh and the interview panel selects the person whom they believe to be the best choice, and that doesn't have to be the person who had the highest objective test score or performance rating. The panel can use other criteria, too, in making the selection. Indeed, that's the purpose of the interviews — to get to know the person behind the numbers. If the rules required always hiring the person with the best test scores or performance ratings then that interview process would not be needed; it would just be a waste of everyone's time.

In general, for jobs using the process I described above, unless you can prove the panel made its choice based on illegal criteria like race or religion you're not going to have a great shot at overturning the decision. Having had a friendly relationship with the interviewer(s) before the hiring process is not illegal. And it is human nature to pick people you know and trust will do the job well over someone you don't know much at all, regardless of their objective scores.

If you think you may have reason to challenge the hiring process for this job, I suggest you look for an attorney who handles civil service matters for federal employees NOW. Do not wait for the IG report. By then it may be too late even if you have a good case.

I wanted to know if I had a case and if so what is it due to a hiring process.
Background:
I applied for a government job ( federal) and was extremely qualified. There were 3 people on the hiring board. I did not get the job ( it was out of another cadnidiate and myelf- she was way less qualified). I had been told on the down low that she was friends with the main person on the hiring board and the HR person.
I didnt get the job and moved on, it was about 2 months ago. I was informed yesterday that someone in the government department I applied launched an IG (inspector general complain) complaint about the situation and there has been an investigation into the hiring process for the job I applied for. I have been told I can request a copy of the report. I have also been told on the down low that I scored highly and my scores were changed by the HR person and submitted ( not what I scored by the people in the interview). Essentially, I was the chosen candidate- 2 of the 3 people on the board scored me highly (higher the tother candidate) and the 3rd person got with the HR person and changed the scores after and gave the positon to her friend. Once I have this inspector general report confirm this can I do anything about it?
Thanks,
What state?

She's posting from Illinois, if that matters. But since it's a Federal hire, I agree that in this case the state is irrelevant.

That depends on what the job position is, what the IG report says, and how long it takes before the IG report is issued. The rules for federal government hiring differ depending on the level of the job. For example, candidates for a senior executive service (SES) position go through a different process than, say, a unionized postal clerk. If you want to challenge the decision, you have only a limited time to do it. Waiting for the IG report may be too late. My experience as a former federal government manager is that IG reports are typically not very fast to come out.

It may help to understand that for many positions in the federal government your test scores, performance appraisals, etc., are used to determine the top three candidates for the job, and that's done more or less strictly by the numbers. When you get to the final three and go to the interview process, all three people start fresh and the interview panel selects the person whom they believe to be the best choice, and that doesn't have to be the person who had the highest objective test score or performance rating. The panel can use other criteria, too, in making the selection. Indeed, that's the purpose of the interviews — to get to know the person behind the numbers. If the rules required always hiring the person with the best test scores or performance ratings then that interview process would not be needed; it would just be a waste of everyone's time.

In general, for jobs using the process I described above, unless you can prove the panel made its choice based on illegal criteria like race or religion you're not going to have a great shot at overturning the decision. Having had a friendly relationship with the interviewer(s) before the hiring process is not illegal. And it is human nature to pick people you know and trust will do the job well over someone you don't know much at all, regardless of their objective scores.

If you think you may have reason to challenge the hiring process for this job, I suggest you look for an attorney who handles civil service matters for federal employees NOW. Do not wait for the IG report. By then it may be too late even if you have a good case.

thank you for the informaiton.,Just to be clear- when I said scores I was talking about the scores from the actual interview not to determine who was interviewed. Two candidate were selected then it started fresh for the interview- They used a scoring system for the actual interview and I scored higher than the other candidate ( apparently) but the score sheet was changed after the interview by someone in HR to favor the other candidate. I don't want to do anything until I have the offical report confirming it.
I am employed and still am. This is a professional position.
thanks

Back