Help: Accepted Security Deposit prior to final lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isanah

I accepted a security deposit with a verbal agreement to wait several weeks for monthly rent and finalizing a written lease. The tenants became unruly after a minor communication problem concerning a telephone message left about the verbal terms of final payment prior to signing a lease. I was only trying to clarify what we had agreed upon and the wife became all defensive that I didn't "trust her" now, that they were "good people", and after we had met 13 days ago it appeared that I didn't "trust" her then either! After I met with them the first time, I acually thought we may become friends! I have no idea where this woman was coming from and she refused to return to the clarification of the verbal agreement, but, instead insisted in talking to my husband for she couldn't "deal" with me! I have been conducting the business of our rental homes for twenty years and I just do not understand why this woman thinks she can just refuse to deal with me! I asked to talk to her husband and she refused that as well.

Later her adult son and I had a conversation about that conversation and he started to use foul language and proceeded to tell me that I am just too blunt, ridiculous, and stupid about my concerns that her mother was proving herself to be unwilling to discuss a simple concern with me. When I asked why his father would not talk with me he said he was a "hothead" and he would side with his wife, and that is why the wife wouldn't let me talk with him! I concluded their behavior was too bizarre and that I no longer want to rent my home to them. I will be returning the security deposit. They have not moved in, they didn't plan to move in until August 18th. Am I legally able to refrain not to follow through on renting my home to these crazy people? The whole situation was truly upsetting, I am perplexed by the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back