Harassed by neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelp11

I am having harassment problems with two neighbors on both sides of my house. It all started 3 years ago when we moved into this house. We introduced ourselves to both neighbors and things were fine. The main problem with neighbor 1 was that she would let her dogs bark 24/7. Five months later into this, I talked to her in an extremely nice way about it and the dogs stopped barking for a few weeks but then the barking started non-stop again. She was a housewife at the time. We worked from home and still do. One day after the dogs had been barking for over 20 mins I noticed that the dogs were barking right next to her and she would do nothing about it. I was very surprised about this. She seemed to be very airheadish but this was plain disconsiderate. To cut a long story short, in the end I had to contact neighborhood code compliance and this did the trick. But the consequence was that she and her husband started harassing us and are still doing it. I did not realize they were harassing us and thought everything was a coincidence until I caught her husband staring through our fence one day. I noticed from day one that every time we went outside to our yard or to the front of our house, they would all go outside themselves to snoop, they still do. They know our schedule and are practically obsessed with us. The final straw that made me realize what was going on was the that I caught her husband clanking their children's metal swing set several times. He then went right inside his house and stared at me through his window. He saw me and hid. Another example is when she made a Sunday 7am loud phone call when she saw we had our windows open and she knew we were sleeping.

The harassment continues, for example, she lets the kids out at 7am on Sundays to scream or the dogs bark and on our side of the house enough times to wake us up and then brings them in and remains quiet. She has also been throwing trash in our yard and in front of our house, etc. The harassment had been on and off but now is constant, it increases when we have good things going on in our life like for eg when we started redoing our kitchen. I believe she is jealous about something because we are not saying or doing anything to them but she keeps stirring up trouble and snooping, 2 years now. Now neighbor 1 has an ally. Both neighbors are in their late 30s/early 40s.

Neighbor 2 moved out and put his house for rent. He rented the house to this family that had huge loud parties every other week, etc. They moved out and now a couple with two young girls moved in (3 & 1 1/2 years old). I was so sick about the neighbor thing so I was not that crazy to introduce myself to these new neighbors but eventually did and even gave her kids some gifts. They were fine at the beginning but she made friends with neighbor 1 and now both are harassing us. Neighbor 2 suddenly started letting her kids scream in the most horrendous way and blow whistles, bounce balls and cry forever in the yard and for long periods of time. I ignored neighbor 2 as I had been ignoring neighbor 1 but it was very disturbing and had to talk to her. Although I was extremely nice to her, she told me she could not do anything about it and she even told me to get ear plugs. The kids have stopped their continuous screaming but now she is harassing us in the same way as neighbor 1. Neighbor 2 started to blow her car horn for several times right in front of my house and send her kids out to blow their whistles 3 times every 2 hours. She had been trashing the front of my house and had been sending her kids to scream in front of my house or when I am in my yard. It was so obvious that in the end I sent both a letter telling them that if they keep harassing us I will call the police and sue them. Neighbor 2's reaction was to stare at us in a mocking way one day we were leaving in our car. They both stopped for a week but are back again. The landlord is only interested in keeping his house rented so I cannot count on him to stop his tenants. Two years ago I talked to the neighbor on the other side of neighbor 1's house about the barking to get her signature for neighborhood compliance. She did not want to get involved in this though she admitted that the dogs were very disturbing. I still cannot understand this. As for the neighbor on the other side of neighbor 2's house, she has always made friends with the renters although I don't understand why as it did not stop them from being boisterious. I am not sure if she would be willing to help me. I spoke to her husband a few weeks ago and exchanged phones. He could not say anything as he is always travelling. The Police or Neighborhood compliance cannot help me either. The Police have advised me to go to mediation but what mediation can be done when these people will not stop? They have also suggested that I video-tape them and get a restraining order. I will need to get new windows but this is expensive and I am doing it because of the harassment. Both neighbors should pay for these windows, really.

Now every time I go to my yard, Neighbor 2 hears me and starts opening and shutting her windows, she is also honking her horn several times but now she is doing this when she is parked right outside her house. She honks twice and then a little later goes inside her house.

Last night I let my dog out in the yard and sat there for a bit. It was dead quiet. A few minutes later I heard her tv, she had raised her volume extremely loud and started opening all her windows. I was very surprised and wonder how sick can she be to do that. I even wonder if she has a video camera pointing at my yard or is so obsessed with us that snoops on us 24/7. Well, knock yourself out I thought and went inside but suddenly my phone rang. It was 10:15pm. I did not pick it up and could see who it was as I have caller ID. It was someone who lives very nearby as her phone has the first same numbers as mine. Her landlord has my phone as well as the neighbor on the other side of her house. I never gave her my phone. She could have gotten it from neighbor 1. I believe she had this acquaintance call us and I think this is too much and I have to do something about it. I can continue to ignore both neighbors. Neighbor 2 may move out in august but I am not sure, she could stay another year. And then, another renter would move in, the landlord would tell them about the noise problems and this story would repeat itself.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me any legal advice on how to go about this. Maybe I should send the landlord a letter from a lawyer? What kind of lawyer handles this? Maybe I should attach some video tape about these actions but I would have to put an effort on this though I have better things to do than to dedicate my time to this!

I am ignoring them but the phone call was too much and I am really tired of the games. Our neighborhood is nice and I am not moving out because of this. We have the right to enjoy our house and to have peace at home.

Thank you for your help.

While you might have a case of harassment and nuisance, your first problem would be proof. Therefore the cop was right, the first thing I would do is install very conspicously some video cameras which will cover your property (just make sure they will not be able to say that you installed them to video their properties.) Let it be known that you will record what is going on on your property 24/7 and hint that the cameras can also pick up and record sound. Hint that the evidence recorded will be used for criminal and civil charges. Often this helps.

If not, then you actually do this. Record the evidence and sue.

Thank you for the great advice. I am not sure whether to just record the evidence or to warn the landlord and the other neighbors via a letter. If I warn them that would make them become more obsessed with us and find more clever ways to harass us. They have sent other people to harass us in the past, this could happen again. After the last phone/yard incident, they are both now unusually silent. I received another call from the same person tonight. I am reporting this to the police to trace it.

Thanks for the advice again. Any more info is very appreciated.

NYClex is correct in his advice. For anyone who reads this forum, please understand that harassment is a very dangerous game. You will have to prove anything your neighbor does to you in court. My advice is to document every incident, have a police report filed, get camera's, recording devices, witnesses. The police may think that a matter does not warrant a report, but ask them to make one anyway. Last but not least, cut off all communication with the harasser. DO NOT SPEAK ONE WORD TO THEM! It will make them wonder what you are up to. Keep in mind you have the right to monitor your property as long as you do not point the camera inside their home. Keep your camera handy and when you are ouside have a small tape recorder ready to record and a cell phone to call the police. Keep a log of all calls to your home by them and whatever you do "DO NOT CALL THEM".

Also, the less you involve the other neighbors, the better. Others are not likely to help you for fear of retaliation.

When you feel you have enough evidence, go to your local courthouse and talk with the migistrate. They will let you know if you have sufficent grounds to file harassment charges based on the evidence you present.

Last piece of advice. Do not react to any of their antics in anger or say anything verbally to them. LET THE POLICE HANDLE IT.

Hope this helps, this allowed me to win my case. Good Luck to you.

Thanks again for the advice. When I go to court I think it will be the small claims court. I am looking into covert video security cameras and found one that I like. If you guys know of any outdoor/indoor day & night cameras with sound recording, please let me know. For now I am just carrying my normal video camera with me. I wonder if it is legal to video-tape the person right on her face when she is doing the harassment act? Like into their yard or garage from one side and she is able to see me afterwards once she is done with the act. Thanks.

If you have a tv/vcr, you can use your camcorder and connect black/yellow connector and make a survellance camera. I used my camcorder and a tv/vcr combo to set it up. Make sure that you get the channel correct to accept the equipment. From what I was told, you cannot video anything inside their house. Why are you going to small claims court? You need to go to your local courthouse and file charges first. Remember, you can be sued if they are found not guilty. Arm yourself well and let the migistrate advise you if you have legal grounds. If they are found guilty you can sue in small claims court for the expenses, time off work, and distress from the harassment. Also, while you gather information you may want to look for another place to live. Harassers will stand their ground and guard the fort till the end of time.

Also, document every detail. Time, date, who was around, police report, recording, picture etc. Keep it in a binder with the evidence or where the evidence is. I could make a movie out of what I got.

Just so you know, even though he lost in court, he is still harassing me, just not as much as he use to. I will be moving in two weeks so I will be rid of my problem.

I would not go for a covert camera, but on the contrary, very visible ones. Your main goal is not to secretly tape them but to make them stop. Once they see that everything they do will be recorded they might stop. So you want the cameras to be big and visible.

Yes, mine was very visable at all times and my neighbor knew he was being survellianced I have him on numerous tapes pointing to my camcorder.

Thanks guys. I will follow this advice.

What they want is that we move out of our house. I wont and will do everything to catch them. The funny thing is that the renters are acting like such bullies, they have such a nerve! I would appreciate any info/regulations on renters. By the way, forget about me telling their landlord what is happening, he does nothing about it. He is a bully, a liar who lied to the architectural committee and he is cheap.

We feel your pain

I will be interested to hear how this turns out for you. We have neighbors who harass and trespass on our property, but the twist to the story is that he is a Police Officer. Who do we call???

We do not have as many noise issues - just mostly trespassing issues - both the parents (who had construction done in the spring and drove a small bulldozer over our yard without saying a word) and the kids who are always playing in our yard or throwing balls at our vehicles.

Everyone says to call the police - Wait, the neighbor who is commiting the offenses IS a cop. Now what?

Anyway, we feel your pain and wish you the best. It is so unfortunate and sad that people can be such jerks.

Hey, if he's a cop so what! Get him on tape. Wrong is wrong! I just saw a cop get slapped on the wrist for following a guy through 3 counties in his personal car cause he feared that the guy was a threat to society. Well the judge told him that without a marked vehicle and proper clothing the guy was harassing the preditor. One up for the boy!

harrassment from neighbor escalating

A while ago I posted a few messages asking for advice about some neighbors that have been harassing us for 3 years. To contact the police and video cameras were suggested. I have used both resources. The officers have not been able to help much as apparently, there has to be a crime otherwise they do not do anything. I am in California. It all started with noise problems I was having with neighbors #1 (barking dogs). Neighbor #1 made friends with neighbor renter #2 and they have both been harassing us for the last 1 1/2 year (sending the kids out to scream every time I go to the yard or sending them out to scream on my side of the house early on a weekend to wake us up, throwing trash in front of my house, honking the car horns in front of my house, making the dogs bark, etc). I have video-taped the kids screaming. Both neighbors have gotten smarter and I have noticed that they have been sending people to scare me or something and I believe they are doing it at my workplace (outside) from the evidence they are leaving (the same "trash" that they leave outside my house in the same spot every week. There is more to it by I am not giving details. I have also been receiving phone calls from people from my area very early in the morning and very late at night. Even one of them gave the police officer a false phone that he was apparently trying to call (the Police told me that there was not crime in that to my surprise). One of the neighbors works for a polling company and several phone calls have been for polls. Both neighbors have my phone.

This weekend I went outside to the front of my house and saw that there were many pieces of broken glass. This is the third time I have seen this but the first 2 times it was only a couple of pieces and on my driveway. I am pretty sure they are sending people to harass and not doing the harassment themselves. I will finally put video cameras outside but I was thinking of putting covert cameras to catch the person who is doing all this.

My questions are:

Is there anything I can do to find out who these neighbors are sending to harass me (at my workplace or anywhere I go that is, as I am putting video cameras in front of my house)?

How can I have the neighbors phone calls traced?

I have some car plate numbers and would like to find out the names and addresses but the DMV does not provide this information. Where can I find this information?

Should I hire a private investigator or can the police open an investigation?

We have been ignoring these neighbors but they are getting nastier (the broken glass, sending people to my work) and it looks like they are trying to harm us and scare us (which they don't). Neighbors #1 are afraid of the cops, last week when I told them I was calling the police on them, they turned off their lights completely for the rest of the night. But the next day I got the broken glass outside my house.

Today I left for work and neighbor #1 was parked outside his house. I looked and noticed he was looking directly at me. I video-taped him right on his face. When I came back from work I saw that there were three dog excrements outside my house, on the front landscape. It was him and it is the second time he has done this.

Any advice is appreciated. Just have in mind that I have been ignoring these neighbors for quite a while and they are still harassing. I am not selling my house. The funny thing is that these neighbors don't even know us that well and we are not doing anthying to them. This is all because of their dogs barking.

Thanks for the advice.

neighbor harassment

NYClex said:
I would not go for a covert camera, but on the contrary, very visible ones. Your main goal is not to secretly tape them but to make them stop. Once they see that everything they do will be recorded they might stop. So you want the cameras to be big and visible.

I will finally put the video cameras but they have to be covert so that I can record the evidence. The harassment has escalated and they are sending people to my workplace. If I place the video cameras visible they will stop but the harassment will permanently move to wherever I go. It is incredible how people that do not know us are wuilling to help out harass others.

I think that the covert cameras will help you the most. Unfortunately these are domestic squabbles that the police prefers to stay out of and also is most helpless to settle. Catching something on camera may help you significantly. Make sure the resolution is high enough to capture meaningful images. I do know that there are VHS machines that purport to record several days worth of video and you might want to investigate how good those are. Unless you know or see your neighbor dumping some of these things on your property, it's difficult to charge someone for the obvious reasons. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Thanks Law Professor. The last encounter with one of the neighbors was a couple of weeks ago. I opened my garage door and saw him parked in front of my house staring at me directly in a threatening way. This was the second time. I grabbed my video camera and video taped him. He in revenge had his cleaning lady leave three piles of dog excrement in my front yard but I could not record this. I am pretty sure it came from him as he has done it before. I sent him an email telling him that I don't want any contact with him, his family or anybody related to him. Well now he is avoiding me but I am still finding broken glass outside my driveway.

Last night I received a phone call from an unknown number. I picked up and nobody said a thing on the other line for a long time. i hung up. I guess they are back to the harassing phone calls.

I will let you know what happens once I put the video cameras up but so far there are no covert outdoor cameras out there.

needhelp11 said:
Thanks Law Professor. The last encounter with one of the neighbors was a couple of weeks ago. I opened my garage door and saw him parked in front of my house staring at me directly in a threatening way. This was the second time. I grabbed my video camera and video taped him. He in revenge had his cleaning lady leave three piles of dog excrement in my front yard but I could not record this. I am pretty sure it came from him as he has done it before. I sent him an email telling him that I don't want any contact with him, his family or anybody related to him. Well now he is avoiding me but I am still finding broken glass outside my driveway.

Last night I received a phone call from an unknown number. I picked up and nobody said a thing on the other line for a long time. i hung up. I guess they are back to the harassing phone calls.

I will let you know what happens once I put the video cameras up but so far there are no covert outdoor cameras out there.
Great - thanks for letting us know the update and look forward to more. With regard to harassing phone calls, write down the date and time for each call. If there are more than 2 or 3 then contact your phone company. Many of them have a call harassment number to dial to record these calls for tracing, a star (*) based number.

Good luck and look forward to hearing about your successful endeavor!

neighbors

God do I feel your pain!! It was 4 long, miserable years for us. It started with their dog barking all day and night until they went to bed. We had the audasity to politely ask them to do something about it and got the same results as you have. They would sit outside with their dog while it barked incessantly and laugh when I yelled for it to stop. I got to the point where I would not even go outside after a couple of years. The other neighbors sided with them, we were the newcomers, and started doing the same thing with their dog. Long story short we moved. I was so distraught and depressed the last two years that I gained 40 pounds! I know it sucks being run out of your own house but the way I looked at it was how much of my life did I want to waste being miserable? Trust me, it is not worth it! Finding a place to live now is difficult because the sound of miserable dogs barking sends me through the roof and these days it seems EVERYONE has a barking dog! At least where we are now it stops once in a while. Someday when I get enough money I am buying 30 acres so I never have another inconsiderate a$$ hole neighboragain as long as I live!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back