Happy 248th Birthday to My Beloved United States Army

army judge

Super Moderator
The U.S. ARMY BIRTHDAY: America's Senior Service

America's Revolutionary War began on 19 April 1775 with exchanges of musketry between British regulars and Massachusetts militiamen at Lexington and Concord. As their fellow citizen soldiers from New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island responded to the alarm, a state of war existed between the four colonies and the British government. Called the Army of Observation, a force of New Englanders surrounded Boston and had the British troops who occupied it under siege, but they needed help. They appealed to delegates who represented all thirteen colonies to join them in the struggle for American liberty.

When the delegates to the Second Continental Congress convened in Philadelphia on 10 May, they soon learned that armed men commanded by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold had captured the British forts at Ticonderoga and Crown Point on Lake Champlain in New York. The constitutional crisis, in which Americans sought a redress of grievances from the British king and Parliament, had become open hostilities. The delegates realized that even though many desired reconciliation, they would now have to address the new military situation. The Congress took the next step that eventually transformed a local rebellion into a war for independence when it established the Continental Army: the force we know today as the U.S. Army.

On 14 June 1775, Congress "Resolved, That six companies of expert riflemen, be immediately raised in Pennsylvania, two in Maryland, and two in Virginia… [and] as soon as completed, shall march and join the army near Boston, to be there employed as light infantry, under the command of the chief Officer in that army."

The delegates then prescribed an oath of enlistment that required the soldiers to swear:

"I have, this day, voluntarily enlisted myself, as a soldier, in the American continental army, for one year, unless sooner discharged: And I do bind myself to conform, in all instances, to such rules and regulations, as are, or shall be, established for the government of the said. Army."

The next day Congress voted to appoint George Washington "to command all the Continental forces" and began laying the foundation for "the American army."

With words that sound hauntingly familiar two hundred forty-five years later, "The delegates of the United Colonies … reposing special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, conduct, and fidelity" of George Washington, issued its first commission by appointing him "General and Commander in chief of the Army of the United Colonies, and of all the forces now raised, or to be raised by them, and of all others who shall voluntarily offer their services, and join the Defense of American liberty, and for repelling every hostile invasion…"

June 14th: The Birthday of the U.S. Army | U.S. Army Center of Military History

army_bday_banner_cmh.jpg

Gotta feel for this young draftee.
Incoming is never fun.
Mortar fire I hated, darn shrapnel everywhere!

KUPYANSK, Ukraine—Russian draftee Ruslan Anitin was being hunted by Ukrainian drones dropping small bombs. For hours, he scurried up and down a narrow trench.

As the sun began to set on May 9, he gazed up at a small machine buzzing overhead. Parched, exhausted and alone, Anitin crossed his arms above his head and clasped his hands together, pleading into the drone's camera to stop the bombardment.

His face was beamed onto a screen at a command post of Ukraine's 92nd Mechanized Brigade a few miles away, near the eastern city of Bakhmut. Col. Pavlo Fedosenko conferred with other officers, then sent an order over the radio to the drone pilots.

Try to take him alive.

If Anitin's experience is any indication, Russian morale appeared to be fraying even before the recent Ukrainian counteroffensive began. A Ukrainian hotline for Russians who want to surrender has received more than 17,000 inquiries since September, Ukrainian officials said. Social-media posts show draftees pleading for more equipment and their wives back home complaining that they are ill-equipped and under heavy bombardment at the front despite being promised jobs in the rear.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that Moscow had been able to fight off Ukraine's counteroffensive so far but acknowledged losing a significant number of tanks.

Anitin is one of the few Russian soldiers to try to surrender to a drone. Drone footage reviewed by The Wall Street Journal captured in its entirety the frantic efforts of a man trying to survive bombardment in the trenches.

Anitin, 30 years old, a slight man with a receding hairline, studied to be a veterinarian and never expected to end up in the middle of a war. When Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24 of last year, he was a marshal at Penal Colony No. 3, a prison near his hometown of Idritsa. His social-media posts at the time, including images of the Russian flag and comments such as "Let's punish the fascists," suggested he supported the war.

A tattoo on his hand reading "Za-VDV," or "For the Airborne Forces," was a memento from the year of mandatory military service he completed nearly a decade ago, he said in a recent interview. He said he assumed only the professional army would be fighting in Ukraine. "It felt like it was never going to involve us at all," he said.

That changed in September, when Russia mobilized civilians into the army after a string of battlefield losses. By then, Anitin was managing a liquor store in Idritsa, a town of 5,000 near the Latvian border. His income and his wife's provided a comfortable middle-class lifestyle.

im-796111.jpeg

After his shift ended one Sunday, he said he received a call to report to his local draft office. Officials there told him they were going through names alphabetically. One told him to go home to pack and show up the next morning or face jail time for evasion.

Anitin left home before dawn the next day. His wife sobbed when he told her he had been drafted, so he said his goodbyes the night before and didn't wake her or their 3-year-old daughter before he left. "I didn't see the point," he said.

He and three other villagers were bussed to a larger town. So many men were being mobilized that officials skipped medical checks. They were given uniforms and Soviet-era rifles. In weeks of training they got only two chances to fire the weapons, Anitin said.

Commanders told the men they would stay in Russia to fortify the border. Within a month, Anitin was shipped into Ukraine. His unit performed guard duties and built fortified positions in Luhansk, an eastern region of Ukraine partially seized by Russia in 2014. For months, he said, they saw no fighting.

That changed in early May. The commander of his platoon said they were moving to Bakhmut to cover for retreating assault teams. Yevgeny Prigozhin, founder of Wagner Group, had just threatened to withdraw his men after they sustained tens of thousands of casualties in their push to capture the city.

"We understood that they wanted to throw us into that meat grinder," said Anitin.

The next evening, he rode in a military truck to a patch of woodland a few hundred yards from the front line. His commander picked him out along with two other recruits, including Dmitri Ivanov, a 21-year-old restaurant worker whom Anitin had befriended. They were told to advance into the trench system closest to Ukrainian lines, take shelter and sit tight, Anitin said.

The men carried a total of four meals and six bottles of water. Around 1 a.m., a Wagner fighter guided them to the nearest trench, where they immediately came under mortar fire that lasted about 40 minutes. The Wagner fighter warned them: "If you refuse to execute a mission, you get shot. And if you try to retreat, you also get shot."

The Russian Soldier Who Surrendered to a Ukrainian Drone

My guess is there were no Russian officers killed in any of those trenches.

You're on to something, mate.
I've always held draftees or conscripts in the highest regard.
That poor soul caught a little luck in a bottle.
Those darn drones dropping those bomblets just might be more deadly than a mortar round, insofar as a squad of soldiers are concerned.

Happy establishment day to the U.S. Army. I'd always regarded the Army as the first of America's armed forces, with the Navy and Marines formed months later. But I came across an American Legion post that notes the national guard as having been formed December 13, 1636. As the national guard is technically not a branch of the military, it is not usually counted. But it's important to our security, too, and since it is often overlooked by the public I'm giving them a mention here. So the Army is the first branch of service, but the Guard should be recognized for having been around much longer.

But it's important to our security, too, and since it is often overlooked by the public I'm giving them a mention here. So the Army is the first branch of service, but the Guard should be recognized for having been around much longer.

You're quite correct, early on in our development there were locally organized militias. Those citizen patriots certainly aided in building this great nation, securing the land, protecting their fellow citizens.

We all owe whatever we've created to those brave souls, who crossed an ocean seeking freedom from tyrants.

Those trailblazers, and all those who came after them on the trails they blazed are part and parcel of the building blocks on which we stand. God bless and keep them all.

648a492dd5277.image.jpg

Col. C.J. Kirkpatrick, left, commander of 1st Cavalry Division's 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, along with the brigade's top enlisted soldier, Command Sgt. Maj. Brian Adams, right, cut an Army birthday cake in Poland on Wednesday. Also pictured are the brigade's youngest soldier, Pfc. Sebastian Mandivil, and the oldest soldier, 1st Sgt. Marcus T. Riggins.

Spc. Jacob Nunnenkamp | Army

Even though some Fort Cavazos troops are deployed overseas, that didn't stop them from celebrating the Army's birthday on Wednesday.

Col. C.J. Kirkpatrick, the commander 1st Cavalry Division's 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, along with some of his troopers cut up a colorful birthday cake in traditional Army fashion — with a saber.

Army units worldwide celebrated June 14 as the Army's 248th birthday. Kirkpatrick and his unit did so in Poland, where the brigade is taking part in Operation Atlantic Resolve, a rotational deployment to help support NATO allies in Europe.

Helping Kirkpatrick cut the cake Wednesday were the brigade's top enlisted soldier, Command Sgt. Maj. Brian Adams, along with the brigade's youngest soldier, Pfc. Sebastian Mandivil, and the oldest soldier in the unit, 1st Sgt. Marcus T. Riggins.

The Army tradition of having the oldest and youngest trooper cut the cake is a way to symbolically connect the Army's past with its future, according to Army officials.

Cutting the cake: Army units worldwide celebrate birthday
... ... ... ... ...

A wise choice, I think, given that 248 candles would be quite a challenge to place, light, and then blow out. :D

The world record for "lit candles on a birthday cake" is far more than 248.

The most lit candles on a cake is 72,585 and was achieved by Ashrita Furman and the Sri Chinmoy Centre (both USA) at the Sri Chinmoy Centre in New York, New York, USA, on 27 August 2016.

Who: SRI CHINMOY CENTRE, ASHRITA FURMAN

What: 72,585 CANDLES TOTAL NUMBER

Where: UNITED STATES (NEW YORK)

When: 27 AUGUST 2016

The cake was created in celebration of meditation teacher Sri Chinmoy's life, on what would have been his 85th birthday. A team of 100 members of the Sri Chinmoy Centre came together to achieve this record.

Most candles on a cake

Depending on how old you are, blowing out all of your birthday cake candles in one big breath can be a bit of a challenge -- no matter how many gallons of spit you spray all over the cake. But just imagine what it would take to blow out a huge blaze of more than 72,000 candles on a cake. Fire extinguishers, that's what.

Well, at least that's what happened when prolific world record smasher Ashrita Furman and members of the Sri Chinmoy Centre in New York recently set a new Guinness World Record for the most lit candles on a cake with a staggering 72,585 candles. The stunt involved about 100 people, who created the massive cake (80.5ft long and 2ft wide), placed the candles, then lit every single one with blowtorches. The result: a raging, sheet cake inferno. Or, as we're basically obligated to say in 2016, that cake was littttt.

The candles burned for about 40 seconds, so as to safely smoke the previous record, which was set by Mike's Hard Lemonade earlier this year with a total of 50,151 candles.

As you can see in the video above, the team of people had to put out the celebratory flames with fire extinguishers instead of standing over it and dying from asphyxiation by attempting to blow them out. Best of all, they used CO2 fire extinguishers to ensure the cake was still safe to eat afterwards, according to Guinness. Sure, the cake may have been filled with declious-sounding vanilla mousse, but all that melted wax on top sounds less than appetizing. At least it was cool to watch.

This Is What a Birthday Cake with 72,000 Candles Looks Like

We live in some very amazing, interesting times, my friends.

Someone, somewhere sets or breaks a world record everyday.

Wow, you could roast a pig over that blaze. I knew that there was a world record for this, but never bothered to look up the number to see what it was. I expecting hundreds or maybe a thousand or two, but 72k+ far exceeds what I had in mind. I'm glad to see the group was prepared with fire safety in mind. If this had been done by someone less careful, like some college fraternities, it might have had disastrous results.

Wow, you could roast a pig over that blaze. I knew that there was a world record for this, but never bothered to look up the number to see what it was.

Their record breaking feat took lots of time, attention to detail, and fire prevention protocols.

They put on a great display, safely.

Today's army is nothing like you grew up in or what historically has been. I kind of wonder what the originals from each generation would do to this new world we all unfortunately find ourselves in.

Today's army is nothing like you grew up in or what historically has been. I kind of wonder what the originals from each generation would do to this new world we all unfortunately find ourselves in.

All organizations change to adapt the changing world around them or they end up outdated, irrelevant, or closed down. The armed forces are no different. As for what people who lived in the past would do if they were living today, that's impossible to say.

I'm an original from my generation?

:)
I truly don't think you know what you are talking about.

Seriously, I am trying to be PC and sensitive so I am not posting pictures of it. The rainbow brigades, the gender confused who can not figure out what sex they want to be much less what branch of the service they are in. Dogs are cats, cats are dogs, a bird is a fish and evil is good and good is evil. Prue Chaos.

The clown surreal world we find ourselves in. Hope that clears it up.

Last edited:
The clown surreal world we find ourselves in. Hope that clears it up.

I agree, we exist in a very controversial time.

That said, I refuse to accept the drivel spouted today as fact.

I'm able to readily distinguish good and evil, right from wrong.

I've never had any doubt about my gender or ethnicity.

I'm able to readily distinguish the differences between donkey and elephant.

My parents weren't liberal, on the contrary they identified as Christian conservatives.

I was taught the value in one pursuing a trade, craft, skill, education, and/or entrepreneurship.

As regards the shenanigans and hijinks of the circus that has descended around me, I simply ignore it.

Life offers us many paths upon which to tread, leading to the destinations we choose.

I chose my path decades ago.

I've been treading and trudging along that path my entire life.

I see no reason to leave the road upon which I've trod, because it has been very good for me and my family.

Life is what you make of it.

Choose wisely, work diligently, save regularly, live righteously, avoid pomposity, and your life will be rewarding.

As for the clown show, I simply choose to ignore it.

Back