Got pulled over for the 1st time going 101 MPH in a 70 MPH on a FL highway, summoned to court

airmmm

Jurisdiction
Florida
I know, its my fault

I'm going to call the courthouse on Monday to schedule it, and I'm going to ask if there is anything else I could do (take classes, etc.)

I was going that speed, and I just want this to be as easy as possible. Should I hire a ticket attorney? They say they have a good success rate of no points & tickets, but I don't know what they would argue since I was going that speed. And if you argue with a lawyer and are found guilty, you can't remove the points from your license.

Or should I just show up to court, apologize, promise to never do it again, and hope for the best? I'm worried about my insurance going way up or even being dropped by them if i get a ticket like that, which might make a lawyer worth it.

Please I'll take any advice, I'm 21 and have never been pulled over. I also have pretty bad anxiety, so this is a nightmare lol

The code is 316.183(2)

Also i don't know if this means anything, but under comments, the officer wrote "estimate speed 95 MPH, target speed 101 MPH" is that any sort of defense since 95 MPH wouldn't require a court appearance? imgur.com

The officer was nice and didn't chew me out or anything, so I'm not expecting him to suggest jail time, I'm just worried.

Let me start with the basics:

Florida Speeding Ticket Costs

snapshot_www.myimprov.com_1680984095924.png
=========================

I suggest you determine IF your citation is eligible to be remedied by attending an AUTHORIZED online traffic school.

My research indicates one can have the citation dismissed by completing the school and paying a small fee for the course. I've seen schools with course prices staring around $21.00.

Basic Driver Improvement Course

If a driver receives a non-criminal moving violation and does not have a commercial driver license, they may elect to attend a FLHSMV-approved basic driver improvement school once every 12 months or a total of five times within their lifetime.

Drivers must voluntarily elect to attend basic driver improvement school within 30 days of the traffic citation. If an election is not made, their right to elect school is forfeited and points are assessed.

Within the 30-day window, the driver must pay the fine and fees for the traffic citation. Upon payment, drivers should also notify the court if they are electing to attend basic driver improvement school. If the fee is not paid within 30 days, their license will be suspended for failure to pay.

Drivers must complete the traffic school course within the court-required time period. If the court-required time is not met, their license will be suspended for failing to attend course.

Drivers must provide required proof of course completion and documentation of the paid fines and fees to the court. It is the driver's responsibility to meet the court reporting requirements.

What is a Criminal Traffic Violation?

A criminal traffic violation is when a person commits a criminal offense while operating a motor vehicle.

Criminal traffic violations include:

Reckless Driving
Driving While License Suspended
Driving Under the Influence
Refusal to Submit to Breath Test
Habitual Traffic Offender
Leaving the Scene of an Accident
No Valid Driver's License
Expired Driver's License
Racing on a Highway
Attaching Tag not Assigned
Expired Vehicle Registration
No Valid Registration
Unlawful Use of an Identification Card
No Motorcycle Endorsement
Unlawful Display of a License
Permitting an Unauthorized Person to Drive

The difference between Moving Violations and Criminal Traffic Violations

When a person breaks the law while driving a vehicle and is caught, they will receive either a moving violation charge or a criminal traffic violation charge. When a driver is charged with a moving violation, such as speeding, running a stop sign, or running a red light, they will receive a ticket with a fine to pay and points will be added to their license.

A criminal traffic violation is much more serious and results in the driver receiving a misdemeanor or felony charge on their criminal record and has much larger fines than a traffic citation.

You are required to satisfy your traffic citation within thirty (30) calendar days. Your options may depend on your driving record but if your drivers license is in good standing typical options are as follows:

Elect traffic school option
Pay the civil penalty
Request a court appearance

Investigate an online traffic school remedy, mate.

Complete the school, THIS \/\/\/\/

7de56e5f40362003c9a8847309e5bda1.jpg

The officer was nice and didn't chew me out or anything, so I'm not expecting him to suggest jail time, I'm just worried.

You should be worried. If I was the judge I'd throw the book at you and take away your license for a year.

Unfortunately 316.183(7) says "A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318."

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (state.fl.us)

Looks like the worst that can happen is a big fine and your insurance rates double or triple.

You'll just have to wait and see.

Up to you if you want to spend a thousand or two on a lawyer.

Up to you if you want to spend a thousand or two on a lawyer.

Traffic lawyers don't charge nearly that much to fight a ticket in Florida. There are plenty of lawyers that will do a speeding ticket starting at around $50 and not more than $200 depending on the circumstances. All you have to do is Google traffic lawyers near you and call a few.

A few years ago in Palm Beach FL, my brother got a 22 mile an hour over the limit, hired a traffic lawyer and got the ticket dismissed. For under $200.00.

Traffic lawyers don't charge nearly that much to fight a ticket in Florida. There are plenty of lawyers that will do a speeding ticket starting at around $50 and not more than $200 depending on the circumstances. All you have to do is Google traffic lawyers near you and call a few.

A few years ago in Palm Beach FL, my brother got a 22 mile an hour over the limit, hired a traffic lawyer and got the ticket dismissed. For under $200.00.
yeah i'm probably going to get a traffic lawyer for around $150, i'm not trying to fight the ticket, just have the best outcome as possible. thanks for your reply!

He didn't "own up to it" he got caught.

Had he not been caught, would he have driven to the nearest police station and confessed to driving 101 mph?

I don't think so.

He didn't "own up to it" he got caught.

Had he not been caught, would he have driven to the nearest police station and confessed to driving 101 mph?

I don't think so.
It's entirely possible for one to now own up to their transgressions even AFTER being caught. Just ask any kid who denies eating the cookies while having a ring of crumbs around their mouth.

Back