Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Going to Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdesantis1

My seventeen year old brother came home last night and informed me that he had been ticketed for Unlawful Poss Alcohol Person Under 21. According to the ticket it is contrary to provisions of section 065-C of the Alcoholic Beverage Control law. He does not want our parents finding out about this. Will he be allowed to show up to court without his mother or father? If yes, what happens if they are not present? Thank you

I am not a lawyer, please note.

Well, your brother is a minor, and underage drinking is not looked upon in the courts as to be made something of nothing. If he shows up without his parents, that may be looked at as non-responsiable on your brothers part for trying to hide it and he could get punished worse for not having his parents there. I am sure the courts will ask why his parents are not present in the courts.
He will probably get Juvinile sentencing and locked up, or they might can try him as a adult and him get locked up and probation. I suppose it is up to the Judge, but your parents will find out one way or another by the courts. Maybe he should contact a lawyer and see what they may be able to tell him for underage drinking in your state, if you don't get may replies or advice on here.

raskalnicov, what would you do in his place to avoid our parents finding out? and btw he will not be locked up or even fined, the cop says the likely sentence is some program that gets drops the charge as long as he stays out of trouble for a year. it's like probation but they don't check up on you and it's purpose is to drop the charge

Your parents didn't get notice to show up. The notice your brother has doesn't say "if under 18 bring parent or guardian," does it?

he should just show up as is required. The Judge may or may not make him get his parents involved.

What destiny says is a laugher. They won't "try him as an adult" for not bringing his parents, etc.

raskalnikov,
I wasn't saying because he didn't bring his parents he could be locked up, I said he (might) could be tried as a adult. You never know what the Judge may do in any case. I also advised to speak to a Lawyer if they don't get many replies on here. I was just giving my opinion as any one else would. I hope for his sake he does get his parents involved, and learns a lesson from all of this, that maybe underage drinking just isn't worth the trouble he has gotton himself into.

If he brought a lawyer to court that might suffice in place of parents. That's what I'm thinking anyway. I'm making him call a lawyer tomorrow anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back