Getting My FBI Rap Sheet

controlvoice

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I need to get my FBI criminal record so I can file a petition with the court in Arizona to seal the court record of a misdemeanor from 2010. Arizona passed a new law enabling record sealing effective 01/01/23. I'm concerned that I may have trouble getting my FBI file because, even though I'm a U.S. citizen, I live in Tijuana, Mexico and have a U.S. mailing address. Will that pose a problem?

Will that pose a problem?

I suggest you contact the appropriate person/person's at the FBI as you pursue your answers.

Get Your Identity History Summary/Rap Sheet (or Proof One Does Not Exist)
Online Rap Sheets (Identity History Summary Checks) | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Mail Rap Sheets (Identity History Summary Checks) | Federal Bureau of Investigation

FBI-approved channeler Rap Sheets (Identity History Summary Checks) — FBI

More Information and Questions

Learn more Rap Sheets (Identity History Summary Checks) — FBI

Contact us Rap Sheets (Identity History Summary Checks) | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Current Processing Time:
Online Requests - About 3-5 days (after we receive your fingerprint card)

Mail Requests - Up to 2 months

Allow additional time for mail delivery.

Rap Sheets (Identity History Summary Checks) | Federal Bureau of Investigation

For a fee, the FBI can provide individuals with an Identity History Summary, often referred to as a criminal history or "rap sheet"—listing certain information taken from fingerprint submissions kept by the FBI and related to arrests and, in some instances, federal employment, naturalization, or military service.

If the fingerprint submissions are related to an arrest, the Identity History Summary includes the name of the agency that submitted the fingerprints to the FBI, the date of the arrest, the arrest charge, and the disposition of the arrest, if known. All arrest information included in an Identity History Summary is obtained from fingerprint submissions, disposition reports, and other information submitted by authorized criminal justice agencies.

Rules and regulations for you to obtain a copy of your Identity History Summary U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 | Federal Bureau of Investigation
for review or proof that one does not exist (Department of Justice Order 556-73)

Under federal law, you can use your Identity History Summary to review, correct, or update your own personal record. Identity History Summaries are not to be used for employment or licensing. Questions on employment or licensing background checks should be directed to the State Identification Bureau for the state requiring the background check.

The fastest option is to submit your request online, for both Identity History Summary Checks and Identity History Summary Challenges.

1. Visit edo.cjis.gov . Electronic Departmental Order

2. Follow the steps under the "Obtaining Your Identity History Summary" section.

If you submit a request electronically directly to the FBI, you may visit a participating U.S. Post Office location to submit your fingerprints electronically as part of your request. You may go to any of the participating U.S. Post Office locations nationwide upon completion of your request. Additional fees may apply.

If you choose to use a U.S. Post Office location, you must complete your application and payment electronically prior to visiting a U.S. Post Office location to submit your fingerprints electronically as part of your request.

If you choose not to use a U.S. Post Office location, then you may still mail your completed fingerprint card, along with your confirmation email received when you started your electronic request, to the address listed on your confirmation email. The request will continue to be processed as an electronic submission once the completed fingerprint card is received.

I need to get my FBI criminal record so I can file a petition with the court in Arizona to seal the court record of a misdemeanor from 2010.

I don't think you need to do that.

According to the following websites, the court orders the record of that conviction when you file your petition. Forms and instructions are provided by the court.

Read everything. Assume nothing.

Sealing records (azcourts.gov)

The Judicial Branch of Arizona in Maricopa County - New Law Provides a Second Chance through Sealing of Records

Back