Security Deposit Forwarding Address vs Address for Notice

Matthew Held

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I rented a house in Oakland County, MI for the last two years. I had a pet and paid the required pet deposit plus security deposit up front. Part of my original lease had a section title "Address for Notice" where I was required to provide "the contact information (and address) of the tenant after this tenancy has been terminated".

After ending the lease, i followed up multiple times over the first 30 days to get an itemized invoice or my full security deposit. Landlord sent me a bill for 2x monthly rent on the 32nd day after the lease had ended. He also noted that I never provided a forwarding address within 4 days of the lease ending, forfeiting my right to receiving an itemized invoice. I never provided a forwarding address after the lease ended, because it was the same address as what was in the lease, and it was my understanding that they were the same thing legally.

My question is, is the address of notice in the original lease the same as providing a forwarding address? The charges were unreasonable given the size and state of the property when i left, so wondering which angle I have to fight the charges.

is the address of notice in the original lease the same as providing a forwarding address?

No.

"the contact information (and address) of the tenant after this tenancy has been terminated".

I have bolded the key phrase which specifies "after this tenancy has been terminated."

However, it does not look like the LL followed the exact wording as required by the statute.

Michigan Legislature - Section 554.603

And did he notifiy you of the financial institution within 14 days of taking possession? See:

Michigan Legislature - Section 554.604

There is more about the security deposit at:

Michigan Legislature - Act 348 of 1972

Landlord sent me a bill for 2x monthly rent on the 32nd day after the lease had ended.

Why the 2x monthly rent? What's his justification?

The charges were unreasonable given the size and state of the property when i left, so wondering which angle I have to fight the charges.

Do you have photos of the conditions you left that would prove the charges bogus?

If yes, then you sue in small claims court for your deposit back.

No.

I have bolded the key phrase which specifies "after this tenancy has been terminated."

However, it does not look like the LL followed the exact wording as required by the statute.

Michigan Legislature - Section 554.603

The proper wording was used in another section of the lease, I had only added the section relating to the Address for Notice.

And did he notifiy you of the financial institution within 14 days of taking possession? See:

Michigan Legislature - Section 554.604

There is more about the security deposit at:

Michigan Legislature - Act 348 of 1972

Why the 2x monthly rent? What's his justification?

Do you have photos of the conditions you left that would prove the charges bogus?

If yes, then you sue in small claims court for your deposit back.

Yes this was also relayed as part of the original lease. I followed every step that was required of me, up until sending him a forwarding address because I thought he already had that as part of the original lease.

The major chargers were he believed the house needed a deep cleaning, and there was damage caused by the dog to the wood floor and other areas. The floor was not brand new when i moved in, but he was in the process of selling the house at the time we were terminating the lease. So i believe he charged me that much because that was how much it cost to get the house to look brand new so he could sell it, rather than getting the house in a state that was equivalent to when i first moved in.

I have generic photos of various locations in the house, but not specific locations of any damages because non of the damage was severe or obvious.

Back