Final accounting for unsupervised probate

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sharon Sporledr

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
My brother in law is the executor for my fathers estate, it is unsupervised. He sent me a one page letter stating the total probated assets for distribution which totaled 300K. I emailed him and asked him about the final accounting and he replied stating, Our lawyer will file something called Unsupervised Personal Representative's Statement To Close Estate with the court. On that document, I state that I have sent the final accounting to
required parties.

I emailed him again and ask if there will be an accounting of where the funds went and he said All verbiage, no numbers.
Now my dad had a trust that went to my sister and there was approx 300K outside of the trust that was probated and the trust was a substantial amount, in the millions, my question is how can he not show an actual accounting of the funds and only use verbiage?

Condolences on the passing of your father.

Trusts do not get probated. They are private contracts. Any money and/or assets go directly to the beneficiary of the trust.

That would be a done deal since you apparently know that the trust was left to your sister.

The remaining $300,000 will be distributed according to your father's will.

If you haven't seen the will you should be able to read it at the probate courthouse along with another documents in the file.

Unsupervised Personal Representative's Statement To Close Estate

Here is a sample of the form:

Statement to Close Estate_Unsupervised Personal Representative (mncourts.gov)

Here is the statute that addresses it:

Sec. 524.3-1003 MN Statutes

my question is how can he not show an actual accounting of the funds and only use verbiage?

I don't know. You haven't said what "verbiage" he used. Quote it word for word.

Is there a reason for you to want an itemized accounting? Do you think you are getting cheated? In estates with large liquid assets, it's easy to divide those. The arguments most often happen over items with no real value such as momentos and household items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back