Female Fired Pistol in Connecticut Police Station Lobby

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Connecticut
This is one of the dumbest things I've read about this year.
That's saying something, because I've read about many dumb things.
I get it, she's very upset.
She didn't like being ignored.

That said and acknowledged, firing at BULLET PROOFED GLASS is ineffective.
In fact, firing a pistol round at bullet proof glass could cause the ricocheting projectile to return and hit the idiot discharging the firearm.

But wait, it gets dumber.
A police officer RETURNED fire on the female.
However, that was dumber than what the civilian female did.
The officer KNEW he was firing at bullet proof glass.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A woman walked into a Connecticut police station and opened fire, shown in footage released by the state's Office of Inspector General.

The woman, identified as 51-year-old Suzanne Laprise, entered the Bristol Police Department Oct. 5 on foot at around 11:30 p.m.

Video shows her walking up to the station's unoccupied front desk, banging on it with her fist then using a handgun to bang on both lobby windows more than a dozen more times.

Laprise then steps away in the empty lobby and fires the handgun multiple times at both windows, though the rounds didn't penetrate the bullet-resistant glass.

Officers then tried to start a dialogue with Laprise, during which she fired additional rounds in their direction. Officer Spencer Boisvert responded with two rounds, but the shots were again stopped by bullet-resistant glass, police said.

Laprise is then shown setting the handgun down on a seat in the lobby, prompting officers to enter the room and use a stun gun on her. Officers then took her into custody, later taking her to a hospital for an evaluation.

1697069228.png

Court documents allege Laprise had a drink and a shot at a bar before showing up to the police station. While at the bar, she allegedly told a woman she had a gun and was going to the station to tell officers to kill her or she would use her gun on them.

Laprise now sits in Bristol police custody on a $3 million bond.

She appeared in court Friday morning to face nine charges, including criminal attempt/murder with special circumstance, illegal discharge of a firearm, criminal use of a weapon and more. She is expected back in court on Oct. 17.

The Bristol Police Department's lobby was closed for walk-ins Friday to allow for repairs and maintenance due to the incident. NBC Connecticut said the damage is estimated to cost $26,000 to fix.

Video shows woman firing gun in Connecticut police station lobby

And what are they doing to Officer Stupid who also fired at bullet proof glass?

It likely wasn't illegal, though I don't know all the circumstances to say for certain. The details would matter, of course, but I would guess an administrative suspension, either either with or without pay, is likely in his future. And hopefully a requirement for some remdial firearms safety instruction.

As a note, "bullet proof" is a misnomer. It would be better said to be "bullet resistant." It's quite possible that the officer felt the barrier might not hold up and was returning fire in anticipation of a failure of the barrier.

Let's wait for all the info before we crucify the cop ;)

As a note, "bullet proof" is a misnomer. It would be better said to be "bullet resistant." It's quite possible that the officer felt the barrier might not hold up and was returning fire in anticipation of a failure of the barrier.

Let's wait for all the info before we crucify the cop ;)

Well, I'd wonder why the cop would feel his shot through the barrier would be any more effective than the woman's shot. If the cop knew the glass stopped her bullet, what would make him think his shot would be any more effective? If the glass was visibly damaged by the first shot, then maybe the cop figured it was weakened enough that a second shot would shatter it. But if the glass seemed unaffected by the first shot, if I were in the cop's shoes I wouldn't expect my shot would fare any better. And given the risks of harm from ricochet off the glass, the cop would be taking more of a chance of hurting himself/herself and any other officers in the room with that cop than actually hitting the suspect. Indeed, even if the glass did shatter, the impact on the glass might change the bullet's trajectory, making the attempt worthless anyway unless the shattered glass left a big enough hole to make a second successful shot. Unless the facts were truly favorable for making that shot, which would have been remarkable, I don't see any good reason for the cop to have taken that shot.

Well, I'd wonder why the cop would feel his shot through the barrier would be any more effective than the woman's shot. If the cop knew the glass stopped her bullet, what would make him think his shot would be any more effective?

You've correctly identified why I'd initiate an internal affairs investigation of the officer's actions.

I'd also invite the state Police agency and sheriff's department to investigate the incident, as well as the discharge of firearms by both parties.

Back