Fed ex fraud?

Captain

Jurisdiction
Washington
Four and a half years ago a fed ex guy came to my house to deliver a package I was expecting. He said his tablet said it was on the truck but he couldn't find it. The package contained a large sum of cash. I called the local fed ex distribution place with the tracking number. They wanted to know what was inside the package. I told them it was irreplaceable paperwork. I didn't want to tell the lady it was a lot of cash. How would they even know unless they opened it. There could be no possible proof of the money being connected to anything illegal. That was the end.
That situation has been a thorn in my side ever since. Only because it was a lot of cash, well over the 5k spoken of in other threads here. No mention of police or anything. Only they couldn't do anything unless I told her exactly what was in the package. That idea made me very uncomfortable at the time

It was five years ago, mate.
If no one has come calling about it today, you appear to have dodged a few bullets.
However, if the money was intended for Mr. BIGSHOTT, that's not a legal matter.
That's a personal matter.
I suggest you run far and fast, or try to make nice with Mr. BIGSHOTT.

The package was for me, where does it go. What does fed ex do w it/ Johny do with it?
On the phone with the lady, It was pretty obvious it didn't disappear

The package was for me, where does it go. What does fed ex do w it/ Johny do with it?
On the phone with the lady, It was pretty obvious it didn't disappear

If you didn't get it, and the IRS, DEA, FBI, the police, haven't molested, accosted, or arrested you; my GUESS, someone ripped you off.

Who?

The FedEx dude or dudette, or the guy who was supposed to send you the loot, said shoot, this is mines, all mines.

Hmm. The lady at fed ex knew about the package, but wouldn't tell me she had it unless I described exactly what was in it. I met the fed ex dude at my house while he looked for the package on his truck that his tablet said was there.

If they could then they would, it's a lot of money! Either fed ex or the cops stole it!
If the police had it? Seems to me they would have let me know, in one way or another.

If the police had it? They should have let me know?

A crook is gonna be a crook, bruh. There are crooked bakers, lawyers, and undertakers. So, I'm guessing there might be a crooked UPS driver, FedEx driver, and maybe a cop, or two.

Or, the FedEx guy might just have been dumb, or careless.

It's been five years, boss, put the money on a milk carton.
Ask the public if anyone has seen your loot.

Ha! Ha! I thought this was a blog for legal advise? Not public opinion, if it's sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust, I think I want my 50k the research I've been doing gives no agency/fed ex or ups a right to it! Only me

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who might know a woman, who is said to have once known a priest, who knows a landscaper, who has a cousin in prison, who knows this disbarred lawyer, who dated a guy, who was once married to a guy that owns a bar, who employs a bouncer that claims he can "fix" any problem for ten grand, up front cash (small bills only, as in $10s and $20s), of course I'll require a mere two grand in $100 bills only (US CASH, of course) or Visa Green Dot cards. $500 denomination.

Wanna maybe get your loot back, mate?

So... here's why this situation makes anyone with an ounce of common sense skeptical.

1) If what you were doing was perfectly legal and involved no wrongdoing, why didn't you disclose what was in the package, especially if it was lost and involved an insurance claim? If the package was lost - and it could have been as a result of an unfortunate coincidence - then you've made it impossible for the company to reimburse you.

2) You waited five YEARS to remedy the problem of an box of cash sent overnight mail that was not delivered?

Maybe you're right - perhaps there is reason to suspect law enforcement stepped in and asked for you to identify the contents of the box and thus unknowingly incriminate yourself. But then you're between a rock and a hard place if there is a question of impropriety. But the elephant is still standing in the room -- why didn't you file a complaint against the carrier for not delivering your package without mentioning the contents? Why isn't the sender complaining since technically the sender is the one who contracted the overnight delivery company?!

There has been an awful lot that has happened since then. At the time I was worried about incriminating myself.
One thing for sure is that it was hard a hard earned package. Nobody hurt, mislead or mistreated. Only good old fashion honest, hard earned $$.
Seems to me if authorities want to take that kind of $$ then they need to have a legitimate reason to take it and keep it. 4 1/2 years later I've had zero contact from anyone about it. As far as I know the statute of limitations on anything like what was going on is 3 years. My last few years have been eventful to say the least and this only recently surfaced towards the top of the priority list.
Bottom line is if they had grounds to keep it? Then I would/should have been contacted in some way. There has not ever been a mention of it to anyone ever. So, being somebody who works his butt off for everything they ever see, it's hard to wonder what ever became of the package. The shipping company had it and knew exactly what I was talking about.
Yes to your ??, complaints were filed but no further contact ever happened.

There has been an awful lot that has happened since then.

I guess that's why you have no idea what carrier was supposed to deliver the package.

It was obviously stolen and doing something about it years later will be fruitless.

Next time, send a check.

Packages go missing everyday. Boxes get destroyed, wrong packages get delivered to people, address labels get mutilated or fall off, thieves steal packages from the backs of trucks when the driver is making a delivery, etc. I seriously doubt the random CSR you spoke to 5 years ago was sitting there with your package opened in her hand waiting to turn it over to you once you described the contents. It is not the lost and found at the mall- describe the lost item and it is yours. Explaining the contents helps them file a claim and know what size box it might be; are they looking for a book or a bicycle? Heck, ironically, I just minutes ago got a call from my neighbor that a package I ordered was delivered to her house by mistake. Had she not called me, I'd have never known what happened. We have the same address in the same development on different streets. The delivery company online records show it was delivered to my door as that is presumably where the driver thought he was.

It is possible that if the money was believed to be part of a crime, it could have been confiscated under civil forfeiture laws. You would not have to be charged at all. That presupposes anyone knew what was in that box and divulged it to law enforcement. Fed Ex is not the usual or preferred method for exchanging cash, especially large sums of cash. Depending upon the sender, that may have been enough to tip off law enforcement. Five years later, it is too late to do anything about it.

You were worried about incriminating yourself for what? When you say that nobody was hurt, mislead or mistreated that doesn't mean the money wasn't payment for something illegal - such as payment for home grown marijuana.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Your package may have even been misdelivered as @ElleMD just noted. Two days ago I brought a package from Amazon over two blocks as a result of a misdelivery even though the address is clearly stated on the box.

Do you not even have a tracking number to see if it was delivered? If it was Fedex then there would be a number. You could and would file a complaint and can do so online regarding a missing package. But what makes this entire affair even more curious is the fact that the sender doesn't seem too concerned about the large sum of money they paid you for something that didn't "hurt, mislead or mistreat anyone." A package that doesn't reach its destination would be one that the sender - not the receiver - would be contacting Fedex. I don't know what to tell you since for over 4 years neither sender nor receiver wanted to intervene to claim this hot potato.

Back