Ex Wife has personal trust information for son

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangebooks

My ex wife has financial documents regarding my sons trust set up by my grandfather. I am executive on this account as well as my current wife. She is refusing to return these documents to me on the grounds saying anything that has to do with her son is legally hers. She claims that all legal matters are to be made between her and I regarding our son. Is this true?? If not how do I go about getting these private financial documents back from her. She will not even give me copies of these statements.

I don't know what "all legal matters are to be made between her and I" means. But as executor, you are legally responsible for administering the trust and are legally entitled to the documents related to administration of the trust. The beneficiary might be entitled to a copy, but not to the exclusion of the executor.

If she won't give the documents back, you could sue for conversion or detinue or something similar.

I don't know what "all legal matters are to be made between her and I" means. But as executor, you are legally responsible for administering the trust and are legally entitled to the documents related to administration of the trust. The beneficiary might be entitled to a copy, but not to the exclusion of the executor.

If she won't give the documents back, you could sue for conversion or detinue or something similar.

what does suing for detinue or conversion exactly mean??? I am not under any legal obligation to provide her with any information as to how much is in the fund or anything am I??

Conversion and detinue are essentially like theft - she has something that is rightfully yours, and you demand it back.

I don't know whether you have any legal obligation to provide her with copies. I would not be surprised if you did. But her right to know the information almost certainly does not supersede your own right as trustee to have it. You should have the documents, and you could give a copy to her if there is information that she should know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back