Does the landlord have a right to make me pay for water damages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffernutter

My jurisdiction is: washington

We had an issue with water damage, and the landlord is making me pay for the water damages (probably $5000). However, I'm not completely sure if it was truly my fault. I am trying to seek all plumbing reports, etc. However, some information seems to be sketchy and being withheld from my landlord.

But does my landlord have the right to make me pay for all these water damages whether or not it was my fault. Is the tenant supposed to be responsible for all the water damages and repairs? I was trying to read the contract, but I am not fully understanding it. Says some things about negligence, etc.

Should I be seeking a lawyer or go to a small claims? She is not wanting to go through mediation or agree on something.

I hope this is explained well, and let me know if there are any questions.

I don't know the facts in your case. If you have an issue with your being responsible for the damages, then tell your landlord you don't agree and demand an explanation that provides proof. You don't go to small claims to prevent someone from making a claim against you. It is their right. If you feel they are wrong you can address a claim in court - that is what it is there for. :D

I'm not an attorney... but I know a little about property insurance policies, so I thought I would offer what I know. If your landlord wasn't asking you for the money he/she would be filing a claim with their insurance. If you're at fault, it is my understanding that the insurance company can pursue recovery of the damage from you (even after they've paid for the claim). I would rather ask my landlord to explain how I am at fault than a big insurance company... .

At a home my husband and I previously rented, a pipe burst in the upstairs wall in the bathroom, flooding the entire house. This happened after our lease was up, but the landlord still accused us and sued us for damages. The mistake we made was not calling a lawyer, and the landlord won the case. The insurance company did not find us at fault.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back