Discrimination and now retaliation

Herna169ah

Jurisdiction
California
New landlord took over and now I feel like she is discriminating against me for voicing my right as a renter to local law enforcement agencies. My unit is INFESTED WITH TERMITE and is affecting not only my medical issues but now my metal health. I have contacted City Halls building code inspector, the health inspector and the pest control board and wrote a letter to with hold rent if repairs were not made. As a result of voicing my right as a rent my LANDLORD has retaliated by refusing to take my rent this month. In addition to making false allegations to an alternative apartment property that I was trying to rent that resulted in a denied application. I have had a financial hardship over the past four months and my current landlord has been aware of the situation and has accepted partial rent the past 4 months. My landlord is refusing to communicate with me about my lease and will not give me any contact information for someone that I can communicate with about my lease. I was given a 3-day pay or quit notice on my door October 12th. Today October 14th I called the landlord because I received an email saying I was disqualified to rent from alternative apartment property. I was disqualified because my current landlord stated my file was given to the property lawyer to start an eviction process.
This is a privately owned property by investors.
What can I do....
I need direction and help

Attachments

• 20161014_194357.jpg
    20161014_194357.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 2
Apparently your four months of late rent, not your legitimate health & pest concerns created your pending eviction issue.

A notice to quit is a request.

You can choose to ignore it, and try to find alternate lodging during the next steps of the process.

The LL could choose to begin an official eviction proceeding, which will result in you being served by law enforcement, or a process server.

Once that happens, the process could take anywhere from six to twelve weeks to result in an eviction order being issued.

In some cases, if you have ALL of the back rent owed, you can sometimes be given the option to pay up in court.

Otherwise, your financial issues are of no concern to the LL.

You agreed in writing to pay, and have apparently failed to do so, hence the problems you're having.

I had writen the note but paid rent as she refused it the first time. On the 17th after speaking with legal aid they said i have until 5pm on that day. Fortunatel , this time she did accepted it but mot until i told her i felt as tho she was discriminating against me. Meanwhile, she refusted to give renters verification to an alternative corporate own apartments. As a result i was denied. She also refused to talk to me as i am a pay resident as i have no back rent what so ever. She stated that she was not allowed to speak with me at all. I requested corporate number and or email to communicate with someone when it comes to my lease, she said no. To sum it up i have been denied 2 apartments and i dont even have a contact person to communicate with. Still no repairs have been made nor any arrangements to have them done.

I had writen the note but paid rent as she refused it the first time. On the 17th after speaking with legal aid they said i have until 5pm on that day. Fortunatel , this time she did accepted it but mot until i told her i felt as tho she was discriminating against me. Meanwhile, she refusted to give renters verification to an alternative corporate own apartments. As a result i was denied. She also refused to talk to me as i am a pay resident as i have no back rent what so ever. She stated that she was not allowed to speak with me at all. I requested corporate number and or email to communicate with someone when it comes to my lease, she said no. To sum it up i have been denied 2 apartments and i dont even have a contact person to communicate with. Still no repairs have been made nor any arrangements to have them done.

If you've been helped by Legal Aid, circle back to them and see if they have more advice.

That was before I got a promotion so I don't qualify for low income consultation. I contacted the BBB. I just need to figure out how I go about filing a civil lawsuit against my apartments. This has really been affecting my mental health as my chronic anxity has increased and my panic attacks are worse then when I was going threw my divorce and much more frequent.

That was before I got a promotion so I don't qualify for low income consultation. I contacted the BBB. I just need to figure out how I go about filing a civil lawsuit against my apartments. This has really been affecting my mental health as my chronic anxity has increased and my panic attacks are worse then when I was going threw my divorce and much more frequent.

Your bigger problem is a potential eviction action.
The notice you posted is a demand to vacate or pay up letter.
If your rent remains unpaid, a formal eviction could be filed.
Trust me, the mere filing of an eviction can cause you to be unable to rent decent housing for decades.
Such an action will ding, if not damage your FICO.

I suggest you pay up immediately, if the LL will take the rent.
If not, you might be able to cure your unpaid rent by offering to pay it in FULL (along with any fees) in court.

Now, why do I say that?
Because it buys you time to leave.
You can search for a new place.

Filing a lawsuit takes money, time, and a lawyer.
You say you have none of that, so a lawsuit isn't going to happen.
Why?
because you have no cause of action sufficient to remain in the home where you reside.
Beyond that, you no longer wish to stay there.

Why not approach the LL and negotiate a compromise?
If you don't, you'll be evicted, and you'll see how problematic an eviction can be for decades.

Back