Did we "kidnap" my father?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluclouds

Our father's wife (remarried 10 years ago, she's 74 yo) has had her lawyer threaten us with a "court action" in a letter. About 6 months ago, we brought our father to live with us, instead of at his home with his wife. We had discovered that his Alzheimer's and the wife's condition had led to a house with rats, my father losing about 20lbs on his 84 yo body, and being hospitalized with his hemoglobin at 5. After two months in their home, trying to improve things, talking with her, I felt some time at our place would be safer, healthier, etc. He's been with us since, and he hasn't expressed any desire to return to his old home. He just says things are taken care of for him here, he has time to do his hobbies. I have a Power of Attorney that he signed, plus a Will, but they were done post diagnosis by a neurologist of his Alzheimers. So where do we stand? :confused:

I don't think you did anything illegal; but I do not know all the facts.

We don't think so either, but feel threatened by the lawyers letter. If one were to argue we are holding him against his will, well -- the front door is unlocked and he is an adult that could leave at any time. But if one says he is a bit mentally incapacitated, then it's appropriate for someone to help him out.

At his old home, he was being left alone, he wasn't eating because he'd "say" he ate lunch, but actually never did, etc. If anyone has specific questions/details to ask here, I'm happy to answer so that I can get a better idea of our options and liabilities, if that's the word for it. We'd just like him to live out a nice peaceful time, enjoy the grandkids, and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back