Dentist Bill Submitted to Collection Agency

S

SCHOR

Jurisdiction
Colorado
A collection agency called my husband last week and said that we had an unpaid dentist bill from 2014 that was turned over to them for payment. I thought that was very odd, because that is the first we have heard of the outstanding bill. I paid my 20% copay at the time of visit, and I normally don't have any balance due after that. It turns out that insurance didn't pay the full amount, and we owed $147.20. We would have paid it if we had known. The issue is that we moved and the bill was not forwarded.

My questions are:
#1: Is the dentist office required to contact us via any other method than mail? They had our emails and phone numbers on file, and could have reached us that way.
#2. The bill my husband paid was $599.68. Are we liable for that amount? We have not received a bill from either the dentist. The collection agency said they would send one but we have not received it.

The dentist office sent me a copy of their Office Journal, which says they tried to bill us 10 times, but it doesn't say how. When I ask, the office says that normally the only way they bill is via mail. If they can't prove they tried to get a hold of us another way, are we liable for the fees?

#1: Is the dentist office required to contact us via any other method than mail?

Legally, of course not.
Morally, probably.

#2. The bill my husband paid was $599.68. Are we liable for that amount? We have not received a bill from either the dentist. The collection agency said they would send one but we have not received it.

It turns out that insurance didn't pay the full amount, and we owed $147.20.

Looks like the collection scammer only seeks what they claim you owe = $147.20.
You can ask for a bill.
Problems are, the collection scammers most likely will continue to ignore you, and the collection ghouls are probably destroying your FICO scores!!!

Sometimes throwing an angry beast a few bones is easier than fighting the critter off.

If they can't prove they tried to get a hold of us another way, are we liable for the fees?

Yes.

The bottom line here is that you are ALWAYS responsible for following up to make sure the bills get paid. Be thankful that the lesson is not more expensive. Any time you have treatment that's covered by insurance, call up frequently afterward until you can verify that the bill got paid. Next time it could be thousands.

Back