Dead Father...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymq000

My father died and I am his only child. He died when I was 2yrs old I'm 23 now. He left me a house and some land in Puerto Rico. My uncle (his brother) asked my mom for all my personal information (birth cert, SS ID #) she thought it was to put everything in my name. now he is nowhere to be found and I have nothing. Could he have illegally signed everything over to his name? Can I sue him for what is rightfully mine 20 years later?

Before you go suing your uncle, you should find out what happened to your inheritance and why you in fact have nothing when you thought you would have something. Who executed the will, what's the chain of title on the property you were supposed to inherit, etc.

My uncle was the executor. What do you mean chain of title? How would I go about finding out this information. I live in NY State and my mother never took down any information. She fully trusted my uncle.

You can get a copy of the file from the probate court in PR for a small fee or you can retain an attorney in PR to look into it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back