Cyberbullying

Jkl809

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Hi, I have a question and a bit of a story to go with it. I am in Indiana and other person is in Florida. I had a situation occurred recently on a social media platform. I had someone who befriended me and was really kind, but in the end manipulated me into giving information and allowing them to contact me personally. This person then turned almost stalkerish and started acting controlling. This person was interested in me, but I was not interested in them. And about a week ago, they got really jealous and controlling so I blocked them on all social media platforms. On one of the platforms, I will go live with some friends on occasion… And middle of last week I saw the person join it with a new account I let the host of the live know that this person was making me uncomfortable and to watch for them. I mentioned the user name, and that this person lived in Florida. But no other information the host made a few jokes but again no information was given.

Then last night I noticed another account for them that popped up on my stuff… And I blocked it. Then the one thing that I forgot, after I block them, they sent me a text threatening that they were going to file police reports in my county and in their county in Florida, because we were sharing where they lived and other personal info in the live, which wasn't true. It only came up at all when we saw the new account pop in and we're fairly certain that they have made others that weren't so obvious. We also have access to the live videos if necessary. But they were falsely, accusing and talking about taking legal action, and how Florida's laws are super strict on this. I mean, the topic came up, like I said… But we were mostly talking about other things had nothing to do with this. And it was only because it made me uncomfortable. But we did not say any addresses… I don't even know the persons address and we didn't give last names or anything like that, just info that was already public knowledge was mentioned.

I was advised to go ahead and file a police report myself so I did, but it has led to a lot of questions on , how far can this even go? I feel like he's probably just trying to scare me because he's mad that I rejected him when he was interested in me. I provided the text that he sent me last night to the police. I did respond at first and then I didn't respond to his last one when he said not to contact anymore but I have never dealt with anything like this and it has me a little bit anxious… So I thought I would just ask for any thoughts or advice. I've also blocked him on my phone now. My biggest question is… What would even happen if he filed a report? He's in Florida and I know that they have some strict laws against cyber bullying. I also just don't even know how that works with state laws in a situation like this because I would think that since I'm in Indiana, Indiana laws would pertain to me… Is that correct? I've just been overthinking this all night, because I never intended to bully or do anything other than just protect myself in the platform.

Thank you,

You are overthinking this to an enormous degree. He's blowing smoke up your...skirt. Even if he made a report, the Florida police are just as capable as the Indiana police as seeing that you are the one who blocked him and you have not made any recent contacts. His making a report doesn't mean anything is going to happen to you.

He's trying to scare you. Ignore him.

No we aren't. But Florida has stricter laws he says.. not just for kids/schools. And I've just never had anyone threaten me with anything like this

I'm inclined to believe that the dude is blowing smoke, and completely misunderstanding Florida law.

It is unclear what he thinks you are guilty of.

You are above the age of consent, and you weren't interested in a physical or romantic relationship. Would it be fair to assume that you sent no xxx selfies?

You weren't doxing him - you're trying to avoid him. If anyone is violating Florida Statute 784.048 and related laws, it's him!

I'm inclined to believe that the dude is blowing smoke, and completely misunderstanding Florida law.

It is unclear what he thinks you are guilty of.

You are above the age of consent, and you weren't interested in a physical or romantic relationship. Would it be fair to assume that you sent no xxx selfies?

You weren't doxing him - you're trying to avoid him. If anyone is violating Florida Statute 784.048 and related laws, it's him!

I never sent him anything inappropriate although he asked and I always ignored it.

Hi, I have a question and a bit of a story to go with it. I am in Indiana and other person is in Florida. I had a situation occurred recently on a social media platform. I had someone who befriended me and was really kind, but in the end manipulated me into giving information and allowing them to contact me personally. This person then turned almost stalkerish and started acting controlling. This person was interested in me, but I was not interested in them. And about a week ago, they got really jealous and controlling so I blocked them on all social media platforms. On one of the platforms, I will go live with some friends on occasion… And middle of last week I saw the person join it with a new account I let the host of the live know that this person was making me uncomfortable and to watch for them. I mentioned the user name, and that this person lived in Florida. But no other information the host made a few jokes but again no information was given.

Then last night I noticed another account for them that popped up on my stuff… And I blocked it. Then the one thing that I forgot, after I block them, they sent me a text threatening that they were going to file police reports in my county and in their county in Florida, because we were sharing where they lived and other personal info in the live, which wasn't true. It only came up at all when we saw the new account pop in and we're fairly certain that they have made others that weren't so obvious. We also have access to the live videos if necessary. But they were falsely, accusing and talking about taking legal action, and how Florida's laws are super strict on this. I mean, the topic came up, like I said… But we were mostly talking about other things had nothing to do with this. And it was only because it made me uncomfortable. But we did not say any addresses… I don't even know the persons address and we didn't give last names or anything like that, just info that was already public knowledge was mentioned.

I was advised to go ahead and file a police report myself so I did, but it has led to a lot of questions on , how far can this even go? I feel like he's probably just trying to scare me because he's mad that I rejected him when he was interested in me. I provided the text that he sent me last night to the police. I did respond at first and then I didn't respond to his last one when he said not to contact anymore but I have never dealt with anything like this and it has me a little bit anxious… So I thought I would just ask for any thoughts or advice. I've also blocked him on my phone now. My biggest question is… What would even happen if he filed a report? He's in Florida and I know that they have some strict laws against cyber bullying. I also just don't even know how that works with state laws in a situation like this because I would think that since I'm in Indiana, Indiana laws would pertain to me… Is that correct? I've just been overthinking this all night, because I never intended to bully or do anything other than just protect myself in the platform.

Thank you,

It's empty threats. Let them go ahead and go to the cops - there's nothing that says the police even file a report and even if they do, it's up to the DA/county attorney to file charges. If there isn't enough evidence they probably won't.

You haven't done anything wrong. You can show that you blocked them, they keep making fake accounts and harassing you. YOU have more evidence of harassment and stalking than anyone. I wouldn't even talk to that person anymore and just keep blocking them and take screenshots when they text or message you and you block them.

It's empty threats. Let them go ahead and go to the cops - there's nothing that says the police even file a report and even if they do, it's up to the DA/county attorney to file charges. If there isn't enough evidence they probably won't.

You haven't done anything wrong. You can show that you blocked them, they keep making fake accounts and harassing you. YOU have more evidence of harassment and stalking than anyone. I wouldn't even talk to that person anymore and just keep blocking them and take screenshots when they text or message you and you block them.

Yes.. I agree. That's what I will be doing. I was advised to open a report of my own with my local police.. to stay ahead of him, so I did that and they have what he texted me last night. And I have plenty more if they ever need it. I'm kind of betting he already knows he doesn't have anything to stand on. He's just wanting to see me give up things and see me scared. I still worry a bit. He just kept pushing how Florida's cyber bullying laws are super strict. and I've never dealt with this before.

Last edited:
As you were told on the other forum, Florida's cyber-bullying laws are school-related.

Stop taking what he says at face value.

I looked it up and it appears it is for outside schools as well. But, I don't know. Either way, I don't feel he could get very far with his false accusations. And I agree.. hopefully it's just a scare tactic.

You're letting him rent WAY too much space in your head.
I know. I'm trying to move past it. I doubt anything will come from it based on what everyone tells me. But I've just never been accused of any such thing before.. anyone who really knows me, knows I would never bully someone.. at least not knowingly or intentionally. I keep worrying what if he could fabricate something or get someone to pretend like they are me and say or do something that does qualify as that. People, including him, constantly make additional and fake accounts.

I know. I'm trying to move past it. I doubt anything will come from it based on what everyone tells me. But I've just never been accused of any such thing before.. anyone who really knows me, knows I would never bully someone.. at least not knowingly or intentionally. I keep worrying what if he could fabricate something or get someone to pretend like they are me and say or do something that does qualify as that. People, including him, constantly make additional and fake accounts.
With your obsessive worrying you are gifting him exactly what he wants.

With your obsessive worrying you are gifting him exactly what he wants.

I'm not denying that. I know that's what's happening. Hopefully that's all he is trying to get from me. I'll get past it with time. Like I said, I've just never had anything like this happen before..and I have no idea how far he could take it.

I keep worrying what if he could fabricate something or get someone to pretend like they are me and say or do something that does qualify as that.

Tell you what. In the highly unlikely event that this actually happens, come back to us with the specifics and we'll tell you how to deal with it. Until then, you are spending WAY too much energy worrying about something that's quite unlikely to ever happen. Let it go and spend that energy on something more worthwhile.

Tell you what. In the highly unlikely event that this actually happens, come back to us with the specifics and we'll tell you how to deal with it. Until then, you are spending WAY too much energy worrying about something that's quite unlikely to ever happen. Let it go and spend that energy on something more worthwhile.

Thank you! I know you're right. I'm trying. I doubt anything fabricated would hold up either. Because it can be proven it didn't come from me. I'm not sure how they could even fabricate anything or alter anything from the lives.. the conversation about him when he joined under an extra account, was like 3 minutes. I did find that extra account.. I blocked it. He changed it from looking like his other username to a fake name. I have screenshots of all of this if it ever comes to that. I guess I just wanted to know (without deep details) that it would be hard for him to fabricate anything that would work.

Unless he's a graduate of Quantico, or at least Harvard's SEAS, it's quite unlikely that he could fabricate something that would stand up under sufficient scrutiny to do you any damage. Relax.

Unless he's a graduate of Quantico, or at least Harvard's SEAS, it's quite unlikely that he could fabricate something that would stand up under sufficient scrutiny to do you any damage. Relax.

thank you. I'm sorry.. I know I need to relax. It's been difficult though.

I do not in any way mean this nastily. Please do not take it as anything but an attempt to be helpful.

If he's got you this nervous when even you admit that he's unlikely to do anything that can harm you, perhaps a session or two with a mental health counselor might be worthwhile. Talking the whole thing out with a professional can be useful.

Back