Credit Card Processing Fee added to bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRGreen

I recently had to go to the hospital and because of no insurance, I provided a "down payment" via credit card for the services I needed. Today, I received the billing details. It showed the $4000.00 deposit and then a $600.00 charge below that listed with the same detail as my deposit.

I called and the person told me that she would send an investigation to the billing dept and to call back in 48 hours.

Because 600 is 1.5% of 4000, I got to thinking that they are probably trying to charge the credit card processing fee to me. Having worked in the credit card industry for over 20 years, it is my understanding that it is not legal for the vendor/merchant to pass the card processing fee on to the cardholder. Am I correct?

(And just as an FYI, the hospital is getting paid in full - not the severe discounted rates that they would be getting if I had insurance!)

Thank you for any advice!
SRGreen

More to the bottom line if you only authorized the $4000 to be charged to the card they cannot tack more on to it. If they come back and say it was what the hospital charged, dispute it and explain that you did not authorize that amount.

They didn't charge my card the additional $600, it was just added to my hospital bill which was a bit over $4000. Everything else was itemized and okay except this particular item.

SRGreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back