Court order vs. Mandated

AlisonC83

Just to inform you all, I'm in school for forensic psychology and am writing up a post on informed consent. The article I'm using to help me states, "...The APA Ethics code 3.10(c) specifies that psychologists must obtain informed consent and that when services are court ordered or otherwise mandated, "psychologists inform the individual of the nature of the anticipated services, including whether the services are court ordered or mandated..."

This is where I'm confused. Since I am not a law student, I'm unsure of the difference and google isn't much help. So, I'm wondering, what are the differences since I thought they were the same, just a different word to use? Thanks for any information you can offer!

This is where you can see the entire article and you'd need to scroll about halfway to the Informed Consent and Limits of Confidentiality section.
Ethical and Professional Considerations in the Forensic Assessment of Complex Trauma and Dissociation - PMC (nih.gov)

Just to inform you all, I'm in school for forensic psychology and am writing up a post on informed consent. The article I'm using to help me states, "...The APA Ethics code 3.10(c) specifies that psychologists must obtain informed consent and that when services are court ordered or otherwise mandated, "psychologists inform the individual of the nature of the anticipated services, including whether the services are court ordered or mandated..."

This is where I'm confused. Since I am not a law student, I'm unsure of the difference and google isn't much help. So, I'm wondering, what are the differences since I thought they were the same, just a different word to use? Thanks for any information you can offer!

This is where you can see the entire article and you'd need to scroll about halfway to the Informed Consent and Limits of Confidentiality section.
Ethical and Professional Considerations in the Forensic Assessment of Complex Trauma and Dissociation - PMC (nih.gov)
...court ordered or otherwise mandated.

It could either be a court order or some other mandate that is not related to a court order.

Mandated is a broader term than court order. Court orders do mandate that person/entity do or not do certain things. But court orders are not the only way a person may face a mandate. It could be a statute, ordinance, regulation, contract, strongly held religious beliefs, and orders by law enforcement personnel and agencies. There are more, but hopefully it helps you with understanding why it was written that way.

Mandated is a broader term than court order. Court orders do mandate that person/entity do or not do certain things. But court orders are not the only way a person may face a mandate. It could be a statute, ordinance, regulation, contract, strongly held religious beliefs, and orders by law enforcement personnel and agencies. There are more, but hopefully it helps you with understanding why it was written that way.
Thanks for the info!

Back