court hearing.

H

HopefulMother

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I have a court hearing coming up for custody. I sent my son's father the court papers as certified mail over a week ago. I have not received anything yet saying he has or has not signed for it so honestly i don't know if he got them (or if they left the little note on his door telling him to pick it up). I am wondering what happens if he does not show up to court (whether he got the notice or not)..... does it get rescheduled? Or do they look into why he did not show up? Or do they automatically grant my wishes (if reasonable)? He is highly unreliable so i am assuming he won't show. I am wondering what to expect. Advice?

You should go to court on the court date. If he doesn't show up, the judge will decide how to handle/make a decision.

I have a court hearing coming up for custody. I sent my son's father the court papers as certified mail over a week ago. I have not received anything yet saying he has or has not signed for it so honestly i don't know if he got them (or if they left the little note on his door telling him to pick it up). I am wondering what happens if he does not show up to court (whether he got the notice or not)..... does it get rescheduled? Or do they look into why he did not show up? Or do they automatically grant my wishes (if reasonable)? He is highly unreliable so i am assuming he won't show. I am wondering what to expect. Advice?

If you show, but he fails to show, you might prevail by default.

I have a court hearing coming up for custody. I sent my son's father the court papers as certified mail over a week ago. I have not received anything yet saying he has or has not signed for it

It would help to know what the papers were and whether service by certified mail was allowed or required.

If proof of service was required and you go to court without it, you get nothing.

"Unreliable" people routinely duck certified mail as bad news. If regular mail is allowed send it that way with tracking and delivery confirmation, but no signature requirement.

If regular mail is not allowed and a signature is required you might have to hire a private process server to get the papers to him with proper proof of service filed with the court.

Back