Collection agency's and the fair debt collection act

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurse343

I am having trouble with fraud as far as collections go> I filed bankrupcy in 1997 and occ debts under new names pop up trying to collect. I am trying to increase my credit score so i write the collection agency back within the 30 days for verification that i owe this debt ie that i opened the credit card account etc they never send me a response just that they sent it. they cont to call and harass me. one compamy i have on record as calling me 10 times in one day. then they still call and refuse to give me proof but say oh if you settle for 125 dollars (original bill is for $600) we will settle in full? Then i have to fight for 5 months and sendd a letter to BBB to get a release of liablity of a bill i paid and not even really sure i owe. One company even said they were getting verificaiton of debt and promplyt sold it to another company who started harassing me? Just not sure what to do or if i have any legal options. I am playing by the rules just not them (i wanna pay my debt but wanna make sure its mine and not a scam or a debt covered by my bankruptcy in 1997. Any thoughts or help appriciated.

Sam

If your concern is your credit score, get a copy of your credit report and use the proper means to dispute any accuracies on the report. phone calls and letters from collection agencies do not effect your credit score- only what is on the credit report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back