Child welfare

Gemini007

Jurisdiction
Florida
My nephew has been living with me for six years. My sister has legal custody, receives assistance for him. But doesn't provide anything, she recently contacted me stating she was coming to pick him up next year. What can do to prevent this from happening. Honestly she hasn't nor is she the best parent. Prior to coming to live with me he failed two grades, he is pretty much on the right path now. When he first came he was nine years old, he just turned fifteen about a week ago. I really think she just wants him to help her with her two smaller children and doesn't have his best interest in mind.

Truthfully I never wanted to take her to court but I have invested a lot in him and of course I love him as if he is my own. I would hate for him to go back into that situation and living condition.

I wouldn't just say drugs are the issue, as far as I know she only smokes marijuana. What I do know is she plays the victim all the time (she is ESRD). Previously she was very mean and abusive to the kids, she still pretty mean to them although physically doesn't have the strength to abuse them anymore.

She has three other kids, a seventeen old who keeps running away stating her husband has been inappropriate with her. The six year old failed the kindergarten last year. She also has a younger son about 3 or 4 who she just started potty training.

I really don't know what to do.

Not much you can do, unless you have legally obtained custody of the lad.

If he's just on "loan" to you, she has the right to recall the "loan", meaning she can come and retrieve her child.

If you believe that would not be in the best interest of the child, your only legal option would to take the matter to court.

Sad, very sad, what some "parents" do to their children.

At least you know you tried and had an impact on the boy's life.

You need to go to court or you should have gone to court years ago. As stated, legally she has every right to come and take her child.

Back