Child Support Ordered, What's Next?

SmivvyBeats

Jurisdiction
Rhode Island
I have been ordered in court to start paying child support to my child's mother. I'm wondering what the next step is. She wants me to either mail the payments to her directly, or give the payment to her boyfriend. I don't feel comfortable with either of those options. If I pay her directly or hand payment to a third party how will the court know I paid? I would like to make payment through the court but am unsure about how to start the process. Will I automatically receive any information from RI Child Support Services?

Never, ever, ever give child support to the other parent or anyone else. Send it directly to the Child Support Agency in your state. You should get a statement every month telling what you owe and it has contact information and where to send a check or some you can pay online.

Do - not - give - her - or - her - boyfriend any money. At all. Ever.

It has now been 3 weeks and I've received nothing from the court.
Never, ever, ever give child support to the other parent or anyone else. Send it directly to the Child Support Agency in your state. You should get a statement every month telling what you owe and it has contact information and where to send a check or some you can pay online.

Do - not - give - her - or - her - boyfriend any money. At all. Ever.

It has now been 3 weeks and I've received nothing from the court.

Contact the court clerk, indicate you're willing, ready, and able to pay ALL court ordered support.

Ask when you'll receive notification as to where you should send your child support payments, because a kind lawyer advised you NOT to pay the other parent directly, but to pay the court or other designated state agency.

Contact the court clerk, indicate you're willing, ready, and able to pay ALL court redrew support.

Ask when you'll receive notification as to where you should send your child support payments, because a kind lawyer advised you NOT to pay the other parent directly, but to pay the court r other designated state agency.
Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. I can't afford a lawyer and I don't know what to do at this point.

Back