Child Custody question

Byront

Jurisdiction
Maryland
My ex-wife and I have been separated in January 2010 and finalized the divorce in 2012. In January 2010, she was the custodial parent for the kids and I had visitation with them every weekend. In March of 2011, both kids were living with me after we both discussed that this what was best at the time. I didn't go to court for this we just agreed over conversation. I have been taking care of both kids while living with my parents without child support from her since. June of this year, my daughter want to live with her mother so I agreed. We currently exchange weekends with the kids, where I will have both my son and daughter on one weekend and she gets them both the next. This is something we agreed upon not court involvement. But she know wants full custody of both of the kids. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

My ex-wife and I have been separated in January 2010 and finalized the divorce in 2012. In January 2010, she was the custodial parent for the kids and I had visitation with them every weekend. In March of 2011, both kids were living with me after we both discussed that this what was best at the time. I didn't go to court for this we just agreed over conversation. I have been taking care of both kids while living with my parents without child support from her since. June of this year, my daughter want to live with her mother so I agreed. We currently exchange weekends with the kids, where I will have both my son and daughter on one weekend and she gets them both the next. This is something we agreed upon not court involvement. But she know wants full custody of both of the kids. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

You HIRE a lawyer and litigate the issue before a judge.
As she retains LEGAL custody, I suspect your informal arrangement won't continue for much longer.
At any rate, HIRE a lawyer MONDAY.

You definitely need a lawyer. This is something that will have to be worked out through the court system.

Your prior lawyer might be able to help you or you can look for a family law attorney.

These one off deals should not be happening without formally changing the custody agreement. you don't mention the grounds for sole custody but technically she already has it if you never modified the agreement.

Back