Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft CHARGED WITH PC 496(A)

jb6x3

Jurisdiction
California
I bought a car recently that was not in running condition and had to be towed to my home my reason for the buy was to get the motor out of it for my car that had a blown motor.

A bill of sale was written up and the seller went on his way about 5 days later the probation dept. was at my address to visit a different tenant and seen the car i bought and ran the vin to find out it was reported stolen and contacted the police.

I come home that day to find cops at my house then i was questioned about the car the cops asked me about the car and i told them i recently had bought the car for the motor they asked me if i had a pink slip i did not.

The guy did not have a pink slip that sold me the car he said he misplaced it but would bring it if and when he located it so i did not find that alarming being that I've bought cars in the past that did not have pink slips to them and did not have any problems with.

I also gave the police the bill of sale and the keys i received with the car there was 3 keys on the ring 1 was shaved they said i told them that i never really noticed it

Meaning that when the car was brought to me we pushed it into my driveway and parked it i then removed the keys and tossed them in my pocket then my room and never looked at them again.

It wasn't like i bought a car that i was driving all the time and me putting the key into the doors or the ignition numerous times to notice that the key was shaved i pretty much handled the key once and didn't touch them again until the cops were there

So i was arrested and charged with PC 496D(A)

I went to my arraignment and a pre prelim already i have been appointed a PD and told him i had to knowledge that the car was stolen i asked him that the charged be thrown out or at least dropped to a misdemeanor

My PD came back after talking it over with the DA and told me that the DA was not budging and he wanted to charge me with a felony PC 496(A) he said the main reason was the time table of it all i bought the car on June 13 the same day it was reported stolen that made no sense to me but to the DA it did and also the shaved key

So i am looking for advice for me to beat this case if possible

You can't beat any criminal case.
The state can FAIL to prove your guilt.
You can sometimes prove your innocence.
The only other option is to show "reasonable doubt".
From what you've posted (and this is why I advise my clients to remain silent), you've only helped the state PROVE your guilt.
I suggest you work with your lawyer to lessen the pain.
If you're on probation or parole, NONE of this helps you.
The old "I didn't KNOW it was stolen" won't fly.
That's why its best not to yap.
The law REQUIRES you to know, or to ascertain a vehicle isn't stolen.
You should have demanded the "pink slip" be properly endorsed and supplied to you BEFORE you consummated the purchase transaction.
I see no easy way out of that, UNLESS you can produce the "seller" to testify that it was all "HIS BAD"!!!

Back