Car towed after I paid the bill

cartowed

Jurisdiction
Washington
I had an issue with parking with our city and I ended up paying it because it often doesn't pay to fight even if you're right. It's irritating. But later in the day my car was towed and they want me to pay for that too! While I understand there can be some gaps from the time someone gets towed, they should check in first to see if it was paid and I certainly was. Do I have a defense or is this more punishment being doled out by the city?

Do I have a defense or is this more punishment being doled out by the city?
It could be a MISTAKE, otherwise your query about additional pain or abuse being doled out might be true.

As far as a defense, I suggest you ask the abuser for more details. As you learn more, intuitively, you'll be better informed, as far your existing options.

I had an issue with parking with our city

Please explain the issue in a relatively concise manner. Please include relevant dates.

and I ended up paying it

"It" being what?

But later in the day my car was towed

Do you mean that, whatever "it" is, you paid it at, e.g., 10:00 a.m. and your car was towed at, e.g., 12:00 noon?

and they want me to pay for that too!

Have you gotten your car back, or is it still in the impound yard? If it's still there, you aren't likely to be able to get it out without paying, and you'll probably start being hit with storage fees.

While I understand there can be some gaps from the time someone gets towed, they should check in first to see if it was paid

If the tow company receives a work order at, e.g., 8:00 a.m., there is no conceivable reason not to assume it's still valid four hours later.

Do I have a defense

Probably not, but I might change my mind if you provide more detail.

Back