Car accident liabiity

L

Lynnannlh

Jurisdiction
California
I live in California and was in a car accident yesterday with a Tesla. It might be my fault but it's under investigation. I have not admitted fault and there are no witnesses or police reports. I filed a report with my car insurance and unfortunately they only cover $5,000 property damage to the other vehicle. I'm in sales and my personal vehicle is used for work. However, I'm reimbursed for mileage which is supposed to cover insurance as well. However I do not have the insurance plan they require. Does my company have an umbrella clause to cover the potential 25K in damage to her vehicle since I was driving from a work meeting? Should I hire an attorney and get my car fixed through the insurance company?

I live in California and was in a car accident yesterday with a Tesla. It might be my fault but it's under investigation. I have not admitted fault and there are no witnesses or police reports. I filed a report with my car insurance and unfortunately they only cover $5,000 property damage to the other vehicle. I'm in sales and my personal vehicle is used for work. However, I'm reimbursed for mileage which is supposed to cover insurance as well. However I do not have the insurance plan they require. Does my company have an umbrella clause to cover the potential 25K in damage to her vehicle since I was driving from a work meeting? Should I hire an attorney and get my car fixed through the insurance company?

You might have several issues on your horizon.
I suggest you wait, say nothing, admit to nothing, as things are revealed.
In the interim, yes, make sure your insurance company stays informed.
Prepare to shell out above and beyond what your insurance won't cover.
No, your employer will probably refuse to pay for damages that are your responsibility by NOT being properly insured.
Finally, you could end up being sued for damages above and beyond the $5,000 you foolishly chose as your cap.
You might investigate hiring a lawyer, if your insurer won't provide you with one.

my personal vehicle is used for work.

Did you reveal that to your insurance company so you could be charged the proper rates for a work vehicle?

If you didn't you could have an even bigger problem than not having enough insurance.

If you misrepresented the risk (even by omission) to your insurance company, the insurance company may have the right to deny your claim and rescind your policy.

Find the section of your policy that looks something like "Concealment, misrepresentation, and fraud."

Back