Can my employer hold my paycheck in the state of Michigan

K

Kelleyfl7

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Hi,
I relocated to the great state of Michigan this past January, my employer agreed to put me and my family in a hotel until we found a house.(as part of a relocation package) We have been here now for 3 months and the bill has pretty high. He brought me in on the day we were supposed to receive our paychecks and notified me that if I didn't sign a contract to repay the hotel amount I would not be getting my paycheck. I signed the promissory note to repay the loan and he still has not given me my paycheck. It has been 3 days and I do not no what to do. I am still working but I live paycheck to paycheck and my family is about to be completely out of money. Since it is the weekend I have a meeting with him on Monday to discuss my paycheck. Is there anything I can do? I love my job and he is paying my hotel I just don't want to get in a legal battle and him not pay me and then kick us out of the hotel and of course we will be homeless. I live in Lansing Michigan someone please help.

Hi,
I relocated to the great state of Michigan this past January, my employer agreed to put me and my family in a hotel until we found a house.(as part of a relocation package) We have been here now for 3 months and the bill has pretty high. He brought me in on the day we were supposed to receive our paychecks and notified me that if I didn't sign a contract to repay the hotel amount I would not be getting my paycheck. I signed the promissory note to repay the loan and he still has not given me my paycheck. It has been 3 days and I do not no what to do. I am still working but I live paycheck to paycheck and my family is about to be completely out of money. Since it is the weekend I have a meeting with him on Monday to discuss my paycheck. Is there anything I can do? I love my job and he is paying my hotel I just don't want to get in a legal battle and him not pay me and then kick us out of the hotel and of course we will be homeless. I live in Lansing Michigan someone please help.

You can POSSIBLY file a wage claim with the state authorities.

This is their website:

LARA - Online Employment Wage Complaint Form

Telephone Contact: Wage and Hour Program 517-284-7800

Don't expect any government agency to respond immediately, or even quickly, unless its law enforcement and you're being arrested.

You might expect to be fired for filing the wage claim.
Of course, the wage claim won't be the reason you're given.
I'm not saying you will be fired.
I'm saying people who complain often receive retaliation.

Back