Can I do a medical exam in California for an accident happened in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd1234

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I was hit by an electric bike in 2021 in New Jersey. Now I am living in California. I am suing the bike rider who hit me and caused my ankle fracture. I had several surgeries to treat my ankle and still have a lot of hardware in my ankle. Now, the defense (the attorney for the bike rider) side need me to fly to New Jersey to do a medical exam. But as I said, I am living in California and it will cost me both time and money to fly to New Jersey to do the medical exam. I am wondering are there any laws that allow me to do the medical exam in California? I am also open to virtual examination with an NJ doctor (and I can do all the required exams like x-rays and MRI in California).

(The main reason for me to stay in California is to avoid the trouble of flying to NJ and spend extra money for flight and accommodation; I also have an infant son to take care of)

The main reason for me to stay in California is to avoid the trouble of flying to NJ and spend extra money for flight and accommodation; I also have an infant son to take care of

I suggest you discuss your thoughts, issues, concerns with the other party's attorney.

If you explain your rationale properly, calmly, the attorney and you can reach a mutually satisfying solution.

You might want to retain an attorney in CA to represent and protect your interests.

Why?

As I recall NJ law, the statute of limitation regarding a lawsuit for personal injury is a mere two years.

You might already be time barred in pursuing a recovery.

Libel/Slander
1 yr. §2A:14-3

Fraud
6 yrs. §2A:14-1

Personal Injury
2 yrs. §2A:14-2

Injury to Personal Property
6 yrs. §2A:14-1

https://www.findlaw.com/state/new-jersey-law/new-jersey-civil-statute-of-limitations-laws.html

the defense (the attorney for the bike rider) side need me to fly to New Jersey to do a medical exam.

That's common. He wants you evaluated by a doctor that is potentially favorable to the defense.

If you disagree with the results you can have your own medical exams performed in California to refute the other doctor's testimony. Bear in mind that you will have to pay your doctors to travel to NJ to testify personally.

If you do have to travel to NJ for a medical exam I suggest you arrange for one of your own while you are there to make sure your doctor is unbiased.

And, at some point, if there is a trial you will have to travel to NJ to testify.

The thing with personal injury claims is that the claimant wants lots of money and must jump through hoops to get it. The claimant is not in control of the process. The defendant is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back