Can I bill tollways for my time?

HallLark

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello everyone,

I just had an interesting thought: Can I bill a tollway for my time untangling their mistakes?

TLDR near the bottom.

The long version:

We are in the DFW area.

My kid's car, not too long after we bought it, incurred a toll in the Houston area. He had never taken it outside of the DFW area at this point, so this was quite a shock. I did some digging with the tollway folks, and got pictures of the event. The pictures showed a gold Toyota pickup with a temp tag where one character looked to be "markered" into a different character. My kid's car is a dark GM sedan. The pictured tag was nearly the same as the temp tag on my kid's car, but clearly off on a couple of digits, including the "markered" digit.

My spouse's car, about a month later, incurred a toll in the San Francisco Bay area. It has never been anywhere near this area, so this was quite a shock. I did some digging with the tollway folks, and got pictures of the event. The pictures showed a black mid-size GM SUV. My spouse's car is a silver GM full-size SUV. The pictured plate was nearly the same as ours, but two characters were clearly different.

My kid's car, a couple of weeks ago, incurred a toll in the Austin area. The only times it has been out of the DFW area have been to the North, so this was quite a shock. I did some digging with the tollway folks, and they discovered that the vehicle in the pictures was a Subaru, then tap danced through several times that I asked for the pictures, and essentially refused to send them to me. My kid's car is still a dark GM sedan, and now has a permanent tag. By the account of the operator, the pictured plate was not the same as the plate on my kid's car.

There have been several similar incidents prior to these, but these, so close together, finally popped this idea in my head.

Each time this happens, I only see what I believe to be the last notice. I see all of the mail that comes in, and never see a notice until the supposedly final notice. one of the Texas tollways also charges some amount per notice sent, so based on that math, the third notice is the "final notice". The notices are only worded presuming the toll is valid, and have little evidence of where and when the toll was incurred. "Final notice, pay this amount" instead of "Final notice, pay this amount, here's a list of what the charges are for". They all say something like "If you have any questions call this number, and then when I call, I get the "we're closed outside of [these typical government hours]" message.

So . . . I have to call during my working hours, make choices, sit on hold, then talk the whole situation through. If I don't, my reward could be a misdemeanor, possible jail time, fines, re-registration blocks, suspicious looks, and sad puppy dogs staring longingly at me for help.

The toll charges are grossly inaccurate and don't appear to ever be scrutinized by a human. All it would take is for each case to pop on the screen and ask a human "Is this car [my vehicle's color, derived from DMV records]?" They choose not to do anything like this.

Meanwhile, knuckleheads are printing temp tags, obscuring their plates, or riding motorcycles with no plates 100MPH on the same tollways without having to do any of this. Also, if I had my cars tied to respective accounts, the tolls would get paid automatically, with me not knowing the difference unless I dig deep.

TLDR:

Since I am essentially forced by threat of penalty and freedom to spend my time dealing with this, I would like to figure out a way to be compensated for my time. Here's my question: Could I, through some device such as a certified letter etc., notify the respective tollway that I will bill them some amount of money per hour and/or event for my time spent untangling their errors? . . . or maybe more easily, can I just send an invoice each time?

Editorializing here: If this were a fair process, each way to pay would be nearly matched by equivalent ways to dispute, all notices would include pictures by default, and there would be an electronic means to examine the pictures without calling on the phone.

Thanks!

Could I, through some device such as a certified letter etc., notify the respective tollway that I will bill them some amount of money per hour and/or event for my time spent untangling their errors? . . . or maybe more easily, can I just send an invoice each time?

Only YOU can determine what you desire to do.

Be wary if any part of your scheme or plan appears to in any way disparage, annoy, harass, molest, mock, or mimic ANY governmental entity.

Governmental entities have no sense humor when they THINK you're disparaging or interfering with their actions/activities.

In essence, you might not enjoy the repercussions your planned shenanigans result in you receiving.

I suggest you pay them the tribute demanded, or spend your efforts as you have in the past resulting in your complete exoneration.

Jim Croce put pen to paper and created a song:

Uptown got its hustlers
The Bowery got its bums
42nd Street got big Jim Walker
He a pool-shootin' son of a gun
Yeah, he big and dumb as a man can come
But he stronger than a country hoss
And when the bad folks all get together at night
You know they all call big Jim "Boss", just because
And they say

"You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim"

Well, outta south Alabama came a country boy
He said, "I'm lookin' for a man named Jim
I am a pool-shootin' boy, my name is Willie McCoy
But down at home they call me Slim
Yeah, I'm lookin' for the king of 42nd Street
He drivin' a drop top Cadillac
Last week he took all my money, and it may sound funny
But I come to get my money back"
And everybody say, "Jack, ooh, don't you know

You don't tug on Superman's cape
And you don't mess around with Jim"

Well, a hush fell over the pool room
Jimmy come boppin' in off the street
And when the cuttin' was done
The only part that wasn't bloody
Was the soles of the big man's feet, woo
Yeah, he was cut in 'bout a hundred places
And he was shot in a couple more
And you better believe
They sung a different kind of story
When big Jim hit the floor, oh
There's a sayin'

You don't tug on Superman's cape
And you don't mess around with Slim

Yeah, big Jim got his hat
Find out where it's at
It's not hustlin' people strange to you
Even if you do got a two piece custom-made pool cue

Yeah, you don't tug on Superman's cape
And you don't mess around with Slim
Writer/s: James Croce
Publisher: BMG Rights Management
Lyrics licensed and provided by LyricFind

Okay, I get it, it's not easy or conventional. They're big, I'm small.

I was looking for something a little more constructive.

If a neighbor damages my fence with their chain saw while trimming their tree, I can send them an invoice for repairs, right?

If a city mows my lawn because I didn't after they notified me a bunch, they can invoice me, right?

Or perhaps "invoice" isn't the right word.

Either way, they are clearly happy to bill me when they believe they are going to extra work to contact me over the same issue (one of them had three $0.85 charges added for each notice sent) while NOT having previously entered into any kind of agreement with me. Should it not follow that I could bill them somehow for going to extra work to rectify their situation while NOT having previously entered into any kind of agreement with them?

Okay, I get it, it's not easy or conventional.
Either way, they are clearly happy to bill me when they believe they are going to extra work to contact me over the same issue (one of them had three $0.85 charges added for each notice sent) while NOT having previously entered into any kind of agreement with me. Should it not follow that I could bill them somehow for going to extra work to rectify their situation while NOT having previously entered into any kind of agreement with them?

You can send a bill/invoice if you like, but the toll authority won't pay it because it has no legal obligation to do that. What time you spend unraveling bureaucratic bungles and delay is not compensable.

If a city mows my lawn because I didn't after they notified me a bunch, they can invoice me, right?

Whether the city could force you to pay for it depends on whether there is a state or local law that requires you to keep the lawn below a certain height and if that law provides for the city to charge you for it mowing the grass or allows the city to impose fines you for your failure to do it. In my experience, fines tend to be the way the city would get some cash out of and make the point that if you don't do the mowing (or whatever the legal requirement is that the law requires) then you may end up owing at a lot, and if you don't you might face some other kind of penalty.

There are three main ways in U.S. law that someone may be compelled to pay another: (1) a federal, state or local law requires it (taxes being a great example of that), (2) common law tort claims for injury/harm you do to another person or that person's property because of negligence, carelessness, malice, etc, e.g. personal injury and damaged property claims, and (3) contractual obligations the person has committed himself/herself to pay.

There are a lot of things that people and organizations do that aggravate others and use up their time. But that's not one of the sorts of things listed above that would obligate them to pay those that are aggravated with the slow pace of of they do. If it's something that causes you physical injury or damage to your property, that's another matter.

My kid's car
<snip>
My spouse's car
<snip>
My kid's car
(*)
I only see what I believe to be the last notice. I see all of the mail that comes in
So there is NO possibility that another member of your household (spouse, kid...) intercepts mail before you see it? Or that they might possibly have taken those vehicles where you may not know?
So . . . I have to call during my working hours, make choices, sit on hold, then talk the whole situation through. If I don't, my reward could be a misdemeanor, possible jail time, fines, re-registration blocks, suspicious looks, and sad puppy dogs staring longingly at me for help.
(*) Just a thought... perhaps your spouse/kid should be handling their ticketting issues?

You can send a bill/invoice if you like, but the toll authority won't pay it because it has no legal obligation to do that. What time you spend unraveling bureaucratic bungles and delay is not compensable.

Whether the city could force you to pay for it depends on whether there is a state or local law that requires you to keep the lawn below a certain height and if that law provides for the city to charge you for it mowing the grass or allows the city to impose fines you for your failure to do it. In my experience, fines tend to be the way the city would get some cash out of and make the point that if you don't do the mowing (or whatever the legal requirement is that the law requires) then you may end up owing at a lot, and if you don't you might face some other kind of penalty.

There are three main ways in U.S. law that someone may be compelled to pay another: (1) a federal, state or local law requires it (taxes being a great example of that), (2) common law tort claims for injury/harm you do to another person or that person's property because of negligence, carelessness, malice, etc, e.g. personal injury and damaged property claims, and (3) contractual obligations the person has committed himself/herself to pay.

There are a lot of things that people and organizations do that aggravate others and use up their time. But that's not one of the sorts of things listed above that would obligate them to pay those that are aggravated with the slow pace of of they do. If it's something that causes you physical injury or damage to your property, that's another matter.

Thanks for the great response. A followup question: Regarding your (1) and (3), in this case, State law would appear to have involuntarily locked me into a contractual obligation that I have no choice to but to pay or untangle. The penalties, which I also did not agree to, are not just fines, but potential loss of use of my vehicles and potential criminal charges on my record. This strikes me as a taking and/or the government forcing me to do something that I don't want to do.

The rate at which they are doing this is manageable so far, but what if the rate were unmanageable? What if there are other similar events out there that I don't know of (yet)? Each notice that I've received has been the "final notice" of some sort, never got a prior notice on each although a couple claim to have notified me prior. Who is to say that there aren't other events that I don't know about? Now a registration renewal becomes a nightmare and/or I have to defend myself in court because of a simple mistake by a (government contracted) private entity?

Anyways, I know that my direction is unconventional, I'm just looking for some inroad to a substantive solution to the issue. What if a tollway were a small mom-and-pop shop with one booth on a road that gets little traffic. Would there be a solution then?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
(*)

So there is NO possibility that another member of your household (spouse, kid...) intercepts mail before you see it? Or that they might possibly have taken those vehicles where you may not know?

(*) Just a thought... perhaps your spouse/kid should be handling their ticketting issues?

Correct. No possibility. I see these cars daily. I know where my family is. The mail goes into the same pile and I deal with it. If I don't then the pile gets bigger. Houston is 572 miles round trip. San Francisco is 3,398 miles round trip. Austin is 422 miles round trip. I'd notice the sudden jump on odometers, and the fuel expenses as well. Regardless of that, each tollway representative verified for themselves that these were not my vehicles, and so did I with two of them.

Whoever handles the issue doesn't matter, the question remains the same.

Thanks!

Okay so I did a little googling:

Texas incorrect plate reads, don't know why they won't look at pictures etc. like they did for me. Based on this one, I'm glad I don't have my plates tied to TXToll: Woman Battles NTTA Over Incorrect Charges – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

More incorrect Texas plate reads, same number, different state: Woman turns to ABC13 after getting hit with tolls that weren't hers

In Illinois, looks like a non-identifier "P" precedes a certain class of vehicle's actual license plate identifier, while an identifier "P" starts an actual identifier and the two are considered the same by the robots?: Illinois Tollway Apologizing For Bogus I-Pass Charges

Another in Texas, guy was tolled while 150 miles away: Cove man gets toll for trip through Dallas he never took | Copperas Cove Leader Press

Another in Texas, not even remotely-real license plates: E. Texas woman debited hundreds in toll charges for trips she never made

Glad (and not glad) to see I'm not the only one. All of these appear to have had much worse luck with contacting the respective tollways than I did, and then sometimes get results by having a news agency prod them. It appears the tollways often don't even look at what state a plate is from, and just assume whatever is read is from a home state. If this costed them some more, perhaps they would? I'm not sure. I just want to find a solution of some sort for me so I don't have to go to the news and cross my fingers that it can get worked out somehow when something crazy happens and/or I run into an uncooperative bunch.

Glad (and not glad) to see I'm not the only one. All of these appear to have had much worse luck with contacting the respective tollways than I did, and then sometimes get results by having a news agency prod them. It appears the tollways often don't even look at what state a plate is from, and just assume whatever is read is from a home state. If this costed them some more, perhaps they would? I'm not sure. I just want to find a solution of some sort for me so I don't have to go to the news and cross my fingers that it can get worked out somehow when something crazy happens and/or I run into an uncooperative bunch.

The only solution is legislation. For example, if agencies had to remit 10 times the erroneous charge, they might be incentivized to be more careful. Or they could be mandated to the process of contesting charges transparent.

Right now, there is no incentive. The two times that I've had such erroneous charges I've had 0 luck contesting them, because my EZPass account is in (MA) a different state from the ones (NY, DE) that charged the toll. The out of state charges included neither photo nor make/model/color of the car. And "uncooperative" would be a complement in describing the bunch I've run into.

Unfortunately yes, there are a lot of stories about snafus with the TX Tollway system. There are multiple entities that send data in and who own different parts of the tollways in TX. The main offices are in Austin and yes, it can screw up. I will say that I've had to call and go in for certain reasons (and happen to have a business reason to be in their building) and have had good luck. The TXTag locations are open until 7pm CST or so.....Don't know if they have offices in Dallas though.

Do not get me started on the snarled bureaucracy that is the NY DMV. You'll be here all day.

Governmental bureaucracies can be hard to take at times.

However, in Texas and other states, military veterans and retirees are shown a little appreciation for their service to our nation.

For example, as a two time recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross (as well as 21 other campaign medals, service awards, etc...) Texas permits me to register and renew my license plate on one vehicle, gratis.

As a Viet Nam era vet, most of us were shunned, scorned, mocked, reviled, and loathed after following the lawful orders of our superiors and CIC (president).

I'm grateful that on some level, a wrong is slowly being corrected.

That said, a lot more could be done for senior citizens, those 65 years of age and older. What, you're wondering? No taxation of any kind for seniors, as our French friends do for their seniors.

Texas permits me to register and renew my license plate on one vehicle, gratis.

Lucky you.

For a Veteran's plate Arizona charges an initial fee of $25 and $10 per year. Didn't buy it.

But, hey, they put the word "Veteran" on my driver's license at no extra charge.

To be fair I get VA medical so I shouldn't kick too much.

No taxation of any kind for seniors

Like that's ever going to happen.

The gummint wants to spend billions on housing for migrants and this lunatic wants to spend $14 Trillion on slavery reparations to black people to "eliminate the racial wealth gap."

Rep. Cori Bush says $14 trillion reparations bill will 'eliminate the racial wealth gap' - ABC News (go.com)

That said, a lot more could be done for senior citizens, those 65 years of age and older. What, you're wondering? No taxation of any kind for seniors, as our French friends do for their seniors.

That won't fly in the US. Some of the wealthiest people in the country are in that category and letting them get a free ride would more taxes for the rest of us. This one proposal I would not support. I appreciate the motivation to help seniors, but they also get more benefits than the rest of us on average from the government already. I do support giving help to poor elderly persons and giving elderly persons an extra deduction or credit. The federal government and many states already do that. I respect your opinion on this, I just don't happen to share it.

As a Viet Nam era vet, most of us were shunned, scorned, mocked, reviled, and loathed after following the lawful orders of our superiors and CIC (president).

I'm grateful that on some level, a wrong is slowly being corrected.

I highly respect the Vietnam veterans and always hated the way they were treated when they returned home. It is changing. We have a bit more to go. It's fair to dislike Presidents Johnson and Nixon for the policy decisions they made about the war. But the soldiers and sailors had no part in making those policy choices; but whether the service members disagreed with the war or not, they still did their duties as they had sworn to do.

I went to a Billy Joel in the 80s and he skipped altogether the song he wrote about Vietnam called "Goodnight Saigon" because in previous concerts that song got a hostile reception from a number of the audience. I went another concert of his about 25 years later, and this time he not only did the song but made an extra tribute to Nam vets by having them on stage with him when he sang the song. This time the audience gave the Vets a very loud and very supportive reception in appreciation for their sacrifice, not only cheering but everyone with a cell phone turned on their flashlights and held them with the lights pointed to the stage, so the Vets on stage saw a sea of lights in their honor.

In the 80s the audience would have used their lighters and hold them up for special songs the performer gave. Now its cell phone lights. A lot has happend since the 80s, but vets and particularly Vietnam vets still don't receive the public praise and support for all the things the vets did in service to our country. Billy Joel's official video for the song he put up on YouTube about 2010, though the parts of the video where you see him perform the song show was taken at few years earlier. (He certainly looked older in 2010 than he does in that video.) It is a haunting video as it highlights the sacrifice those Vets made.

@Tax Counsel

The sting of what occurred to the vets of the Nam war isn't as troubling to me today, as it was 60 years ago.

As with grief, time allows us to heal.

I regularly recall a conversation with my father a couple of days after the death of my first wife.

Dad said, "Son, I just want you to know, that no matter how you feel today, you'll heal as the days, weeks, and years go by. Take a deep breath, remember all the happy times, as time passes, you'll one day feel better. As we live and age, time aids us in healing."

That said, we owe everything to those who came before us. That's why I admire those hardy folk who settled and built this great country. At times we get discouraged, are saddened, but if we give it time, we heal.

Thanks for your kind words about the brothers I went to battle with oh so long ago. We answered our countries call. We, as have others before us, did our duty honorably.

As for LBJ, in my opinion, he was the greatest Democrat President of my lifetime, even FDR. My dad revered FDR, as did my mom.

Back