Can I ask my neighbor to pay me back the vet bill that I paid for her cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlady

I came home to my neighbor's cat bleeding and laying on the ground on Friday. My neighbor wasn't home and I didn't know which vet she used. Plus, it was right before my vet's closing time (around 5:30 pm) and I didn't have much time to look for my neighbor or anything, so I took her to my vet. When I got back from taking her to my vet, I told my neighbor that her cat was at my vet and they would examine her cat tomorrow morning. I asked her if it was okay for me to have taken her to my vet and she said yes. They did a surgery on her next morning and the bill was $320, which I paid for (because I went to pick her up). Now I realize that I probably should have let my neighbor pick up her cat, but I personally wanted to make sure her cat was okay, so I went to pick her up. I showed the bill to my neighbor and asked her to pay me back, but she said that she didn't authorize me to take her cat to the vet and she wouldn't pay me back.

Can I force her to pay me back legally because she said it was okay that I took her to my vet, or is this something I did out of my kindness and she is not legally responsible to pay me back?

When I saw her cat bleeing (by the way, my vet said that her cat was anemic and it could be due to losing too much blood) and in pain, I just acted the way any decent person would have and took her to my vet. I didn't expect my neighbor to come back and say that she didn't authorize me to do any of it, therefore she wouldn't pay me back... I'm still in shock.

Last edited:
unfortunatly I think they would have needed to authorize it :( the only situation i can see is if they were responsible for the cats injuries, as in they caused the injuries. Otherwise it was between the vet and your neighbor to work it out, not just do anyhting the vet felt they wanted to and then charge her. I think at best you may own a new cat.

You may ask her to make payments but it doesnt sound like they care enough :(

Thanks for your input, THEJKH1999. In fact, my neighbor does NOT care about her cat because she leaves her outside and goes out of town for 3-5 days leaving no food. I've been actually feeding her and letting her sleep in my garage...

I know the economy is bad and everyone is tight, so I even offered to pay half the bill and she still wouldn't take it...

I just don't understand some people, period. I would be very thankful and take care of the bill in no time if someone took my injured cat to a vet.

I completely agree with you, I have 2 18 year old cats that I have had over half my life!! Unfortunately it doesnt seem as if most of the rest of the people are as willing to pay a debt unless they MUST :(

The strange thing is that my neighbor has a dog that she takes everywhere and does so much for. She just doesn't give the same treatment to her cat, and I don't get it. Her cat is 13 years old!!! She should be inside staying warm and napping, not outside defending herself.

You are absolutely right. Most people are not willing to do as much for their pets, and I just don't understand why.

I will just try to think I donated $320 to animal rescue and forget about my neighbor. Thanks!

Keep the cat. If neighbor wants it back she can pay you.

Generally (I dunno about GA for certain) cats are not considered property, and you will not be "stealing" the cat if you keep it.
YOu have plenty invested in the cat, may as well keep it.

Your neighbor is right though. You won't have much luck getting anyone to order her to pay you. You did the right thing as guided by your conscience, but your neighbor does not appear to have one.

I already sent the cat to my neighbor because I couldn't keep the cat :(

I'm just starting to lose faith in people. I do what I think is right, but not many people seem to do it. It's very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back