Can I ask for a different judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjess

I have a case that I need to file for small claims. The person I will be taking to court (the defendant) has already told me that he has someone who is going to testify about a conversation (that never took place) on his behalf.

In most instances, I would rely on common sense/the obvious facts, but it turns out that the "witness," and the local judge are very good friends.

Can I ask the judge to step down in this case? This is over a $1000 that I really need and the judge's friend is supposedly going to testify that I told him I was only going the charge the defendant $300.

You can ask. The judge might not grant your request. Judges are expected to recuse themselves in case of conflict of interest, but simply knowing a witness isn't necessarily a conflict. The question will be whether the judge can evaluate the evidence provided by that witness impartially, and judges pride themselves (usually rightly so) on their ability to do that.

Another screwed up RULE OF LAW.

Somehow this country decided to rubber-stamp anything an "honorable" judge does. I thought there was only one God and he was in heaven but I guess i was wrong, at least according to the American "justice" system.

It is stupid to presume there are no crooks wearing a judge's robe. And its equally stupid to ask a crook if he will admit he's a crook so you can get a fair deal.

I guess that doesn't fit too well with the story the flag-waving hypocrites would have you believe but hey, if you can't stand the truth too damn bad.

"A judge is supposed to recuse himself". That equates to a crook is supposed to admit he's a crook so he's sure that the sucker he's screwing over gets a fair deal. Yeah, right. Another American fairytale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back